What's new

A month or so in.

So after doing this wet shaving thing for a bit, figured I should share my current thoughts since that's what these places are for. First, a special thanks to Foyle and Noah for their contributions to this endeavor. So I now wake up earlier and actually get, dare I say excited(?) about my next shave. Previously, mornings were a question of "Do I really need to shave today?" - Skipping a day was common practice. Now, I look forward to each shower and shave morning, seriously.

I've got some Cella, LEA, and a full sample pack from Cold River. Oh, and a jar of Noxema - but I don't use it much since figuring out the lather thing better. The wife loves the smells. Most days, I leave the brush and bowl loaded up and she uses it after me. My skin is softer than ever and I find myself touching my face during the day to see how smooth it still is.

Feel pretty confident with the DE, and am finding the blades that work best for my setup an face. Spent a few weeks with one, now starting to try others and am able to notice the subtle differences in blade brands. Also have some Straights that I use, though usually on the weekends. Have not gotten a complete shave with the straight yet, still follow up a few places with the DE, but its getting better and I haven't sliced my nose off. Tip of thumb? Yes, but not my face. I will say that Noah can put a hell of an edge on some straights. Reminded me of old biology classes where you are trying to shave a single cell thickness of something. Pretty sure I shaved off a single layer of skin from my thumb, nothing more.

So a big thank you for this Forum and its members, supporters, hobbyists and vendors. Thanks for making mornings enjoyable and helping a middle age guy get in touch with his face. Waiting now on a few family heirloom straights from my 80yr old uncle and barber. :w00t:

Glad to see you're progressing, sir! Hopefully all the folks here have helped you make great purchases and helped your shaving development. Truly great people here that just keep me coming back!

You're off to a great start. I'm glad your wife is on board. That makes the whole adventure a million times better. Enjoy your shaves, and good luck with your impending straights!

Glad to hear that you are having such a great experience. It takes about a month to get a good groove on, so you are on schedule.

So after doing this wet shaving thing for a bit, figured I should share my current thoughts since that's what these places are for. First, a special thanks to Foyle and Noah for their contributions to this endeavor. So I now wake up earlier and actually get, dare I say excited(?) about my next shave. Previously, mornings were a question of "Do I really need to shave today?" - Skipping a day was common practice. Now, I look forward to each shower and shave morning, seriously.

I've got some Cella, LEA, and a full sample pack from Cold River. Oh, and a jar of Noxema - but I don't use it much since figuring out the lather thing better. The wife loves the smells. Most days, I leave the brush and bowl loaded up and she uses it after me. My skin is softer than ever and I find myself touching my face during the day to see how smooth it still is.

Feel pretty confident with the DE, and am finding the blades that work best for my setup an face. Spent a few weeks with one, now starting to try others and am able to notice the subtle differences in blade brands. Also have some Straights that I use, though usually on the weekends. Have not gotten a complete shave with the straight yet, still follow up a few places with the DE, but its getting better and I haven't sliced my nose off. Tip of thumb? Yes, but not my face. I will say that Noah can put a hell of an edge on some straights. Reminded me of old biology classes where you are trying to shave a single cell thickness of something. Pretty sure I shaved off a single layer of skin from my thumb, nothing more.

So a big thank you for this Forum and its members, supporters, hobbyists and vendors. Thanks for making mornings enjoyable and helping a middle age guy get in touch with his face. Waiting now on a few family heirloom straights from my 80yr old uncle and barber. :w00t:

I too get shave ansi and excited. Do you know what razors your getting from your uncle and barber?

I don't yet, except he said they were German, bone handles. There have been some recent deaths in the family, so its a bit on the back burner.

Foghorn,
You should ignore how inane/insane posting on this forum appears to outsiders, it is clear that you belong here.
Welcome aboard!

Foghorn,
You should ignore how inane/insane posting on this forum appears to outsiders, it is clear that you belong here.
Welcome aboard!
HaHa! That's the truth! Colleagues and friends don't "get it"... I sent out a Dept wide email yesterday promoting Movember anyway. They've been noticing some vaguely reminiscent scents in the halls, and inexplicably thinking of their grandfathers more than usual. Must be the Pinaud :lol:

HaHa! That's the truth! Colleagues and friends don't "get it"... I sent out a Dept wide email yesterday promoting Movember anyway. They've been noticing some vaguely reminiscent scents in the halls, and inexplicably thinking of their grandfathers more than usual. Must be the Pinaud :lol:
Thanks for the update!
It sounds like you are off to a great start and like you have the "correct" attitude!
Take your time, and enjoy the journey...

Top Bottom