What's new

Newbie to DE shaving.

Hello everyone. So this is my first time posting. So I'll start with a little back story before my question. I am a military member who has received a shaving waiver ( which I don't like having ) because I get such bad razor burn and ingrown hairs on my neck when I shave with cartridges. I have ordered a safety razor because I heard it is suppose to minimize these issues. This is a last ditch effort for me to be able to able to be clean shaven. So my question is what advice can some safety razor vets give a newbie. Thanks everyone in advance.

Welcome doomed! First of all, thank you for your service. Nuclearblast's link has tons of great advice. Being former military I do know what a shaving waiver is and you have my sincere sympathy. My recommendations would be to follow a very thorough prep regimine, maybe start out with all products that are marketed as for "sensitive skin". Read the labels, if you can't pronounce it, then it probably isn't going to help your skin. I am not a soap/cream ingredient guru but there are plenty here that are and I have received some great advice from them.

Most importantly, go slooooooow with light pressure. My first DE shave left me with about a dozen nicks and cuts because I used my DE razor like a cartridge razor. This forum and some quality You Tube vids should prove helpful. This one is the first in a short series of very good getting started videos, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU&list=UUH95TR4r8JNRgLG1T1FVXhg.

I've been at this a few months now and am still learning but bumps and ingrown hairs are pretty much non-existent anymore. Good luck, and welcome.

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Welcome and thank you for your service!
the best advice that I got starting out was go to YouTube and watch the instructional videos on DE shaving there. I know that helped me a whole lot and made my start much easier. I am still new myself nearing my two month mark. Lather and prep seem to me to be the most imporant thing. And not using pressure on the razor when shaving, not as easy as it sounds, and using shorter strokes. I haven't cut myself yet, and I haven't had much razor burn. I used to only shave twice a week due to irritation and bumps. I have been able to shave five times a week since starting with DE razors and I've only had irritation on my neck once so far.
Give oil shaving a try, it seems to be less irritating than lather shaving too me.
It takes some time to learn the skills to shave this way, and it takes time to learn which blade and soap/oil works best for you.
A good thing to do is get a sampler pack of blades and try different brands. I have found some razor/blade combos don't work very well. It seems like each razor I use has a blade preference.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I'd advise you to watch the YouTube videos by Mantic59 and Geofatboy which are good, informative tutorials. Also, in addition to the Active Duty Members check-in, be sure to visit the Foxhole Shavers Club in the Clubs and Brotherhoods section of the ShaveWiki.

Welcome and thank you for your service! I have a friend at work that used to avoid shaving due to ingrown hairs, since I turned him on to DE shaving, no probs, he is sold!

Hello everyone. So this is my first time posting. So I'll start with a little back story before my question. I am a military member who has received a shaving waiver ( which I don't like having ) because I get such bad razor burn and ingrown hairs on my neck when I shave with cartridges. I have ordered a safety razor because I heard it is suppose to minimize these issues. This is a last ditch effort for me to be able to able to be clean shaven. So my question is what advice can some safety razor vets give a newbie. Thanks everyone in advance.

Thank you for your military service. What is your shave process like? Do you have a good silver tip brush? Prep is key to a great shave result. What is your prep like?

Welcome to B&B, thank you for your service, glad you're on board, lots of good people, information, and opinions here.
The wiki mentioned above has tons of good information.
The only thing I can add is: Take your time, and enjoy, that's what I'm here for!

Top Bottom