What's new

Ogallala Soaps

I just noticed on Maggard's site that Ogallala has soaps. Maybe they have for a while and I just noticed. Anyway, want to ask if anyone has tried their soaps and what your opinions are. I have the sample pack of aftershaves and like all of them.

Yeah, they've had them for as long as I can remember. They are good and prior to the explosion in artisan soap-making, they were one of the few you could get through places like WCS. If you want an extensive opinion about them, I'd do a search here. My opinion is that they are solid. One thing I always liked about them was that they came in shave stick form.

I've used the bay rum and sweet orange, though I haven't looked for it lately, and Loooooved the scent. Never had a problem getting nice lather, but I've got pretty good water, too.

Dean

It was the first soap I purchased based on good reviews here and on YouTube. I enjoyed the smell but I think I was a little too quick to judge the performance since I was just starting out. I'm confident that if you put a little work into figuring out what the soap needs to perform well, it'll be a great addition to your den!

Plus, it's not very expensive if you just want to try it out!

Ogallala was one of the first shave soap sample packs I received when I started wet shaving. The scents are nice and strong. I enjoyed them very much at first, but I got bored of them rather quickly, YMMV. In my experience, the lather was very foamy/frothy with big air bubbles. It didn't dissipate, just very foamy. Left my skin dry. I also got a stinging/burning sensation on my 2nd pass. I would not purchase again.

The scent of Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns is excellent. And there is a matching scent aftershave based on witches hazel. Very nice smelling and soothing.

Ogallala was one of the first shave soap sample packs I received when I started wet shaving. The scents are nice and strong. I enjoyed them very much at first, but I got bored of them rather quickly, YMMV. In my experience, the lather was very foamy/frothy with big air bubbles. It didn't dissipate, just very foamy. Left my skin dry. I also got a stinging/burning sensation on my 2nd pass. I would not purchase again.

All this^^^^^. Smells great, works just ok. My water stinks tho.

I bought the Ogallala shave soap sample pack. I just find them way to strong smelling to use. They literally made me sick. The lather was ok but I didn't get much experiance using it because of the smell. If you already like the scents I would say order the sample pack its a great deal for 6oz of soap.

I have a very sensitive neck so slickness is paramount. I really liked the scents, lather was ok but slightly foamy and dissipating. I ended up getting incredible razor burn from them due to lack of slickness so I threw the entire sample pack into the trash after 4 uses. There are many better soaps out there such as Mike's, B&M, HTGAM, Razorock etc. so there is no reason to put up with mediocre\poor performers.

These were the first soaps I bought when I started wet shaving.
I bought them because they were inexpensive and got quite a few great reviews.
There are definitely better soaps available but for the price they are solid and would be a great throw in item to get to the free shipping level and I love the scent of the Bay Rum and Orange one.

If you order direct from Ogallala they usually throw in some free items with your order as well.

I use the bay rum sage and cedar quite often. Like the scent. It is a thirsty soap. I need to dip the brush two or three times to add the water this soap wants. When I do this I get a rich, moist lather and a good shave.

I use the bay rum sage and cedar quite often. Like the scent. It is a thirsty soap. I need to dip the brush two or three times to add the water this soap wants. When I do this I get a rich, moist lather and a good shave.
This has been my experience with them as well. They are very thirsty soaps. When you use ample water, they provide great cushion. However, I've yet to get much slickness out of them. The scents are great and last just long enough.

Thanks all for your input. I think I will stick to their aftershaves for now based on your experiences.

I got the same results except mine did dissipate during the third pass with their Bay Rum stick. I used it for the first time several days ago and I know I should give more than one chance, work it a little differently I guess. But no matter how well or not so well I work it, it will still burn my face and that's not good, but YMMV. Also, I found it to be very clove heavy on the scent. I know that many bay rum's use clove as part of the scent but this was very, very prominent in the scent.

Very strongly scented if you like that. They send generous sample pucks if you want ti try a few. I use ine every now and then for a bay rum blast. They do tend to leave my face a little dry- Btw the bay rum air freshener is great. I keep it in my car.

Top Bottom