What's new

Another noob here

Hello I'm from Az and have been shaving with cartridge razors for the past 14 years. I recently borrowed a friends DE (Van Der Hagen) I believe. He said it was at target in a kit. I liked it enough to do a fair amount of research and go the DE route. I am about to buy a semogue boar hair brush, Proraso sensitive shave soap, and a EJ DE89 along with a couple different types of blades. I have 3 main questions. I was torn between the merkur hd and the EJ De89 but have pretty much decided on the EJ unless told this is a mistake. 1. Is there a large difference between the different handles? (the barley is 40, the lined is 29 and the plain is 26. I like how the plain looks but read that they are very slippery (true? untrue?) With so many razors and options I've had a hell of a time deciding. I like the barley but am not sure if it's worth the extra $. I also like the plain but am worried about how slippery it may be. Ok #2. My friend's razor was good enough to make me hope there is better out there but honestly isn't that great. I've heard the EJ is not very aggressive and am wondering if it's going to be hard to get a close shave with like my friend's target razor. Basically I need to know if I can get a nice bbs shave with it like i can my fusion. I am switching because I am seeing that sometimes the best tech is old tech. Also paying $22 for cartridges is driving me nuts. Sorry to rattle on but thank you for your advice.

Hello and welcome here. B&B is a great froum full of friendly, helpful shavers. To your questions:

1. I have never tried these handles, but I would at least get the lined one. With soap and water flying around, DE shaving can get slippery

2. The EJ gets a lot of love here, so you should be OK. I like vintage Gillettes. If you look on eBay, you can score a nice Tech or Super Speed for EJ prices or less.

3. Can you get a BBS with an EJ89? Definitely. Expect to make at least 2 passes plus some touch-ups. Shaving with DE will take longer initially as you learn proper angle and pressure. Be prepared for shaves not as good as your cart ones for a week or so, but then you'll see rapid improvement.

Congrats and shave away!!

I personally like to keep costs down at first, so I'd recommend the lined one (cheaper, and as BSAGuy pointed out will help in the beginning). Keep in mind that if you get into this and really enjoy it, there's a high probability that you'll end up with a whole series of razors. Thus, there's always time in the future to go for the barley.

A BBS is still obtainable with a mild razor. I've had fantastic shaves with both my Merkur (20C) and a 1940's Gillette Tech. Both are pretty mild.

Hopefully this was helpful. You'll get more advice from much more experienced individuals. In the meantime, welcome to the group and best of luck on this adventure.

Hi Fire: Welcome to B&B. Glad that you joined us. Paying for the expensive cartridges is crazy when you can get quality wet shaving gear. The EJ89L will serve you well and if you pair it up with an aggressive blade like a Feather or Polsilver Super Iridium the combo will reward you with a great shave provided that you prep your face well.

I would steer away from the smooth handle of the EJ and get the lined or barley version. Spend the extra $10 and get the barley handle. Of course when you get your new gear, it is mandatory that you post some pics because here at B&B, we love shaving pics. Keep us posted and enjoy your journey. I know I am.

WARHAWK

Thank you for your thoughts! I do believe I will pony up the extra 10 for the barley. Will post pics upon getting my stuff. I know it takes extra time but I'm very much looking forward to adding this ritual to my life!

Welcome to the forum. Merkur 34c HD and EJ 89 are very similar, to my understanding, in their performance and aggressiveness (meaning, they're not very aggressive at all and go for newcomers). They are both a popular razor and perform great. The EJ de89 has a variety of handles, but yes...some are more slippery than others. I'd recommend going for one with a better grip. You can get great shaves with either razor and both are good options. There's a saying that's repeated often around here, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Good luck...and welcome!

p.s. I have the VDH razor and actually like it. It's not a great razor but I've had some great shaves with it.

Welcome to B&B, be carefull with shaving soaps or creams.... before I joined this forum I had 2.... now I have over 12 different scents, makers and creams/soaps/croaps!

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Thank you for your thoughts! I do believe I will pony up the extra 10 for the barley. Will post pics upon getting my stuff. I know it takes extra time but I'm very much looking forward to adding this ritual to my life!

It takes extra time in the beginning, but then yOu get better and faster. It will be 2nd nature.

Top Bottom