What's new

Dfs+

I had a truly fantastic shave today. It looks great (sometimes my dark beard can still be seen even with a close shave, making it look not all that close) and feels amazing. I think this is the single best shave I have ever accomplished.

I still feel a little scritch in places on my neck, which is why I call this shave "DFS+": BBS in most places, DFS in some places. Today's shave was so good that I thought maybe my criterion for BBS was off. So I did something I've never done before: I got out a cotton ball and did the test. Guess what: I failed. :tongue_sm

I do not want a better shave than this, nor do I think I am capable of it with the neck I've been given. Many have said it before, but I'll chime in again from one newbie to other newbies: the end goal is not BBS for everyone. Get a shave you like without irritation and be a happy man all day long. :001_cool:

I used a EJ DE89 razor for a couple months then a Merkur 39c for a couple more. I felt like my technique was solid but kept settling for less than perfect shaves. Nice comfortable shaves but not perfect every time. I could do 5 passes and a bunch of advanced techniques and get a perfect shave but then I was risking irritation and discomfort going over the same area that many times.

You can achieve bbs without irritation and do so on a daily basis. The single best thing I did toward getting perfect shaves every day was to buy an ATT Kronos razor. I purchased the three available plates at the time but you really only need one R or H series plate in either the SB or OC version.

I don't believe that a poor shaver will instantly be a great shaver just by using a better razor, and I wouldn't recommend this razor to someone just starting out, but I really believe that your tools do make a difference.

The EJ is gone but I still have the Merkur as well as a Fatboy razor (dialed all the way up to 9) and despite my best efforts I still struggle a bit to get a absolutely perfect shave from either of these razors. I get some very nice comfortable shaves from them both but with the ATT it's just effortless and the shave is so close it lasts well into the evening.

I know that these razors are expensive but it's just something to consider. Maybe at some point it's your tools that are holding you back.

My goal isn't to turn this into a best razor debate but only to share what I found that worked for me.

Last edited:
I'm all for whatever works for you, and if you're happy with what you are getting then I can respect that.
However, with that said I'd hate to see you give up on getting a bbs shave when it sounds like it might well be attainable for you.

That's how I define DFS+ too: BBS in most spots, no spot worse than DFS.

I've learned that the few remaining nonBBSable spots benefit from detailed beard mapping. No charcoal sketches or mannequins required, just run your wet fingers over those spots on your second-last pass and see EXACTLY which way the hair grows. It may be that you were off in your thinking by 40° or so, and that can make the difference.

Brent:

Congratulations on your best shave! I've been calling what you describe as "DFS+'" "near-bbs" in my log. Most days, that's what I'm trying to achieve. If I have lots of time, I'll keep making passes until I've gotten it all, but that doesn't happen often.

I had a truly fantastic shave today. It looks great (sometimes my dark beard can still be seen even with a close shave, making it look not all that close) and feels amazing. I think this is the single best shave I have ever accomplished.

I still feel a little scritch in places on my neck, which is why I call this shave "DFS+": BBS in most places, DFS in some places. Today's shave was so good that I thought maybe my criterion for BBS was off. So I did something I've never done before: I got out a cotton ball and did the test. Guess what: I failed. :tongue_sm

I do not want a better shave than this, nor do I think I am capable of it with the neck I've been given. Many have said it before, but I'll chime in again from one newbie to other newbies: the end goal is not BBS for everyone. Get a shave you like without irritation and be a happy man all day long. :001_cool:

+1 Brent :thumbup:

Nice. That's where I am as well. I do two careful passes and touch-up, and I'm done. Almost always BBS-. I don't push for anything other than a close, irritation-free shave.

What was your set-up?

What was your set-up?

34c | SOC boar | Feather

I haven't tried a lot of blades (just 4) but Feather is the definite winner for me.
As for software, I'm all over the map. I started off with uberlather, but more often just use soap now. I'm not sure I have a favorite yet. I like Stirling, Cella, TOBS, especially.

34c | SOC boar | Feather

I haven't tried a lot of blades (just 4) but Feather is the definite winner for me.
As for software, I'm all over the map. I started off with uberlather, but more often just use soap now. I'm not sure I have a favorite yet. I like Stirling, Cella, TOBS, especially.

The 34c is one of my two razors, and the one I've been using for over a year now. But I'm not sure I've ever gotten true BBS with it, just with my open comb. Maybe I'll have to finally try a Feather.

Top Bottom