What's new

da Vinci cleaning soap for brushes?

Royal Shave has this as their "Deal of the Week" so I thought I'd try it. Normally $8.95 marked down to $5.50.

I'd appreciate any opinions from those of you who use it.

TIA,

Musikmann aka Dave

I have never heard of "Cleaning Soap", but looking forward to your review.

That was the first I'd heard of one too. Classic Shaving sells packets of powder to clean/soak brushes and I have often thought about buying some of that. But then I noticed how much the da Vinci brushes sell for and I figured this is probably worth a try. Thanks for the comment.

It's a soap designed for cosmetic brushes. It will also clean shaving brushes. You can find a similar product in art supply stores for cleaning artist's brushes. There's nothing special about the soap shaving brush wise. The aforementioned methods for cleaning shaving brushes work very well. I'm not sure if these brush cleaning soaps work better or not though.

Ship-Shape comb and brush cleaner is also a good and inexpensive product. Amazon
sells this for about $10 for a two-pound box. One tablespoon makes one gallon of cleaner.

$51RddQZ3YYL.jpg

Ship-Shape Comb and Brush Cleaner

This thread is pretty long in the tooth but I wanted to post a follow up.

Amazon sells a larger tin that approximates the average size of a shaving soap puck and I bought one of those; it's a much more practical size. Since October 22, 2014 when I started this none of my brushes appear to need cleaning and so as a result, I haven't used either of these soaps. If and when I do, I'll add my review to this.

I have used the Da Vinci brush cleaning soap, which I bought through Amazon for a few £s. It seems to clean both badger and boar brushes very well, although probably no better than mild dish soap and a vinegar solution. However, the Da Vinci brush soap is less time consuming to use than the latter combination, and since it cost little, takes up little space and shows every sign of lasting well, I would say it's a worthwhile investment.

This thread is pretty long in the tooth but I wanted to post a follow up.

Amazon sells a larger tin that approximates the average size of a shaving soap puck and I bought one of those; it's a much more practical size. Since October 22, 2014 when I started this none of my brushes appear to need cleaning and so as a result, I haven't used either of these soaps. If and when I do, I'll add my review to this.

Dave, what are the ingredients? Just curious.

No problem Franz, glad to be of service.

40g tin: Ingredients (lNCl) Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Sucrose Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Perfume.

85g tin: All of the above but does not mention Glycerin.

Thanks. I'm leery of using anything other than dish soap and dilute vinegar on a brush. But those ingredients seem OK to me.

Top Bottom