What's new

What's the scoop on Seifenglatt shaving soap?

There's some really nice sounding scents they've got, but how's the performance and post shave feel?

Ceret

Bitter blend of Black Cherry with just a hint of Vanilla to take the edge off

Toulouse

Tropical blast of Menthol, Mango, and Green Tobacco, refreshing and cool

Cognac

Brandy and Tobacco Leaves in the base with some light Lemon opening

Found a couple more on Maggard's:

Montpellier - Masterful blend of Grapefruit and Cedarwood rounded out by Ylang Ylang – EO.

Versailles - Vetiver is a star in this blend with Frankincense and Black Pepper bringing out clean, fresh, and sophisticated – EO&FO

Other than a few reviews from that site, but I can't turn up much here on B&B. Just ordered some other soaps, but came across these in the process and might give the Versailles scent a try in the future.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Me and 2 nephews love Seifenglatt's Montpelier & Versailles. Super aroma, lather, glide, protection. In the top 5 of my rotation.

I have the Toulouse and prototype lemongrass scent. Great soap. There are so many soaps that are so good breaking into the market now it is becoming overwhelming. I bought from Etsy so for anyone who has an anti-Etsy bend, you are missing out here - or buy from Maggards, among others.

I'm a sucker for vetiver and have ordered the Versailles but I'm sure it'll be a week before I receive it from IB.

I don't mean to be cynical here but as I understand it,

Seifenglatt is an American company with a German name that sources their soaps in France. Seems that they are trying just a little bit too hard here to make themselves into something that they are not.

I don't mean to be cynical here but as I understand it,

Seifenglatt is an American company with a German name that sources their soaps in France. Seems that they are trying just a little bit too hard here to make themselves into something that they are not.

Interesting! Their shenanigans in this regard has no bearing on the quality of the product, of course. I learned here that Pre de Provence has a similar sourcing trickery--a French soap not available in France!--yet it's still great soap.

Love to learn more about how Seifenglatt performs. I only have about two lifetimes worth of soap, so always on the lookout for more. :lol:

OK, got the Versailles in the mail today. Just did a test lather only, for initial scent impression. I'll give it a real test spin in the morning to get an initial performance impression.

First off, the scent is not very strong, at least to me. But I like strongly scented soaps, so take that into consideration. I'd say it's in the light, trending medium range. It's a pleasant enough scent, but I would never have guessed vetiver if this was a blind test. If you know how Guerlain Vetiver EDT, or Fine Clean Vetiver aftershave smell, this soap is NO WHERE near those profiles. This is just a clean, fresh kind of soapy smell. The first thought that came to mind was Dawn dish washing soap, or some lightly scented shampoo from back in the day. Not trying to imply that it's not nice, but it doesn't live up to my expectations of a vetiver soap.

I will say that it lathered effortlessly and produced a copious amount indeed. Like I said, I'll give it a spin tomorrow and see how it performs.

Guess this might be coming off my list for now. I'd like a dirtier, earthier vetiver. Like you, I also tend to prefer a stronger scented soap. Lots of others still on my list anyway with so many artisans to pick from.

OK, gave the Versailles a real test spin this morning. I'm going to upgrade the strength of scent to a solid "medium"; it lasted throughout a 3 pass shave. I like the scent - it's pleasant, clean, fresh - but it's not the vetiver I was hoping for, so I give it a downgrade based on that.

Now to the performance aspects.

Lather: It lathers effortlessly. The consistency of the lather when shave worthy is the "meringue style". It's light and airy, rather than the "yogurt style". As a matter of fact, I first used a boar and it was so airy (not talking bubbles) that I thought I had used too much water. So I switched to a silvertip and went drier brush than I usually do. It still exhibited the airy quality, meringue style. Lots of lather, BTW.

Glide/Protection: It has good enough glide and protection for a nice 3 pass shave. For me (and I'm only talking about me), it does not merit "elite status". It's a very good soap, not a great soap, especially in terms of value. For $21, it better wow me, and this one just didn't.

Overall impression: Won't order the Versailles again. It's not the vetiver scent profile I was hoping for; and the performance, at it's price point, is underwhelming. YMMV, of course.

Got my French soap pack last week! Pre de Provence, L'Occitane Cade, Institut Karite, Provence Sante Green Tea and Verlaine, Seifenglatt Cognac and Ceret. The only one I didn't get from my French soap wish list is Savon du Midi :laugh:
I am posting my impressions of others in the appropriate threads, but as far as Seifenglatt, first class all the way!
Scent is medium strength in the jar, but as soon as water hits, it fills the room with wonderful aroma. Lathers with little effort, 10-15 swirls all that's needed. Post shave feel is where it seals it for me, leaving skin soft all day. YMMV, but a keeper for me, will try other unique scents offered.

Smallflower via Amazon stocks 4. Toulouse, Bordeaux, Versailles, Montpelier. They might have some more if we go directly to their site. I dealt with them once, via Amazon, and the service was fine.

Toulouse is one of the best soaps I've ever used - I love the mango, green tea, tobacco and menthol scent. It's the epitome of tropical.
I'm really interested in getting a tub of the Ceret.

Top Bottom