What's new

Lapping natural stone on sandpaper and glass. Is grit an issue?

Hi all,

I finally had my new Purple Llyn Melynllyn arrive today. I'm a little bit excited. Before I head into it though I will give her a lap on sandpaper and glass.

I've done this with success with my synthetic king stone using 320 grit paper. Does the grit need to adjust for this stone or is it ok to use the 320?

All advice much appreciated.

Rob
$2014-10-21.jpg$2014-10-21(1).jpg

It will be fine to flatten it - you might even want to go coarser if it's tough to lap flat - but you should probably use some finer grit to smooth it out once it's flat. Although you could possibly do the smoothing with your rubbing/slurry stone also.

I gave it a run. The 320 paper worked great on one side that was only do very slightly non flat. The other side needed a bit more though and was taking an age so down to 240 grit and it was lapped within 5 minutes. Back to 320 to smooth it out a bit then done. Happy days. Thank you

If you don't get the finish you're looking for right away you might find that you get an even better finish if you smooth the stone further - try using your rubbing stone with light to medium pressure and rubbing the surface of the stone trying to hit the entire surface evenly while dry to further smooth it a bit. If you use water it won't be as smooth. If dust builds up keep it wiped away with a paper towel. Let us know how you like it too, always interested in hearing about the different natural stones.

Top Bottom