What's new

If you could go back in time.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Aaron:
proxy.php
Hmmm...that's a hard one: I have so many...I can't pick just one. :blush:

But if I was a 'betting man'...it would have to be that classic, quintessential 'old school' barber shop experience (I miss those days
the most)!!
:biggrin1: ​

For that experience, one must go back in time to a simpler (and better?), era (which our family had 'credit' because I never paid for my haircuts). To when I was a young 'whipper-snapper' (Mom said I was pugnacious), getting a fresh haircut ('high & tight'), a 'splash' of aftershave (Clubman), and a scalp massage. To where;

1. The men & boys would wait their turn without number tickets (just the honor system of being a gentleman), to be called "
proxy.php
"!!!

2. The only phone (rotary type...thanx Tony for your input), on the shelf or wall either rang very quietly or quite loudly (in which you covertly tried to overhear the Barber's quiet conversation [i.e., the barber never talked on the phone while cutting your hair],..in which slang
proxy.php
and/or codewords were used because of your innocence and youth).
proxy.php

3. Leather strops attached to the leather backed hydraulic Barber Chairs.
proxy.php

4. The numerous tall canisters of blue Barbicide
​
attachment.php
(with it's distinctive faint smell of ammonia), w/ combs, small brushes, clippers attachments, razors, scissors and other implements.

5. Talcum powder 'duster' brushes were within reach.
proxy.php

6. Hot lather
attachment.php
& steamed towel machines
proxy.php
were waiting to be used for :straight: shaves, neck & razor 'line' touch-ups.

The built-up shoe- shine
attachment.php
stand w/ 2 chairs (one for the shoe-shine man when business is slow), and the scent of tins of Kiwi and Lincoln shoe polish, glass bottles of liquid edge dressing, polishing cloths and leather mingling in the shop.
attachment.php

8. The slightly 'musty' scent of cut hair in the air (including the 'tufts' of hair on the floor
), after the Barbers ceremoniously 'snap' the capes (that was around many necks), in the air to remove cut hair signifying the end of the haircut 'ballet'.

9. The faint aroma of men smoking
proxy.php
and reading newspapers.
attachment.php

10. The 'manly' scent of the many glass bottles of aftershave and hair tonic (Clubman of course...which always seemed to get 'splashed' on the floor besides on your head).

11. A full magazine rack (sorry boys...no Playboys), of Ebony, Life, Jet, National Geographic's and Highlights Magazine for kids.

12. A black & white TV (with
'rabbit ears' and the volume set at low), in the corner.
proxy.php

13. The never-ending barber task (or us kids asking for the honor), of sweeping up hair clippings. ​$Sweeping Floor Image.jpg

Now, don't get me wrong...because I'm not the sort of man to wallow around in nostalgia but, ahhhh...those were the
'good ole days'!!! ​:001_rolle

​
proxy.php
"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days”. Doug Larson

Last edited:
Wow. What a great question. I think I would like to be a fly on the wall in Wilmer McClean's living room on April 9, 1865 to witness Lee's surrender. McLean lived near the First Manassas battle field and famously said "the war started n my backyard and ended in my living room."

Here is the text of Lee's final order to his army:

Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, 10th April 1865.

General Order No. 9
After four years of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources. I need not tell the survivors of so many hard fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to the result from no distrust of them.

But feeling that valour and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that must have attended the continuance of the contest, I have determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement, officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed, and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you his blessing and protection.

With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your Country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration for myself, I bid you an affectionate farewell.
— R. E. Lee, General, General Order No. 9

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have thought about whether I should post this here. I want to preface this by saying it is an event that makes me very happy, even though a few weeks later something bad happened. Again, I do not want to bring the room down- this memory makes me happy.

A few weeks before Thanksgiving of 1981 I was 13 years old. I decided to play hooky and say I was sick. I think my mom knew that too, but I never did that very much. We lived in the small town of Bolivar, OH. My mom had to go to the bank, and she asked me if I wanted to go along, then grab breakfast. I said yes. We were "kind of" vegetarians- if my father wasn't around my mother would sometimes allow us to sneak some meat. So, we both had bacon with our eggs and had a general good time.

This is my last good memory of her. She passed on Thanksgiving day. When ever I start to feel sad I remember the day I skipped school and ate bacon.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Owen as you already know from our exchanges in other threads and posts I have a similar experience with my mom. At this time I must refrain from telling that story. Thank you for telling your story. But I must say skipping school and eating bacon in my opinion was a great time travel adventure....my favorite hang out is In the mess hall after all....ha:)

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen as you already know from our exchanges in other threads and posts I have a similar experience with my mom. At this time I must refrain from telling that story. Thank you for telling your story. But I must say skipping school and eating bacon in my opinion was a great time travel adventure....my favorite hang out is In the mess hall after all....ha:)

I just hope I didn't kill the thread, as that was not the intent. Like I said, it is a very good memory for me.

on edit: I carried the grief for far too long. Through a little bit of therapy I finally let it go this year. I can now smell baking bread or hear Derek and the Dominoes Layla without choking up.

Despite the tragedy involved, I would like to be a witness of Pearl Harbor on 12.7.41. Always be fascinated with this event and how it changed the 20th century forever.

Beerman

July 20, 1969. I was too young to appreciate the events of that day at the time, but I would love to go back, knowing what I know now, and watch Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the moon.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can tell you one thing for certain- it wouldn't have anything at all to do with shaving. :tongue_sm

I'd like to go back to the either the 50's or the 70's.

In the fifty's, there was still areas in North America that hadn't even been mapped yet.

In the 70's, I could invest in Apple and Microsoft. :w00t:

1818, Venice, Italy. Palazzo Mocenigo, on the Grand Canal. Not sure of the exact date, but right when Lord Byron swam the length of the Grand Canal. Sitting on the terrace on the piano nobile, eating supper with Byron, the wittiest man alive, having him read a few cantos of Don Juan.

If we are going back to relive personal events, I'd go back to when I was fourteen and had a romantic encounter with a pretty girl named Barbara. I'm pretty sure I could close the deal given a second chance.

If it's to witness a day in history, I supposed I'd like to see how they really built Stonehenge, or the great pyramids. Not sure of the exact dates though.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If we are going back to relive personal events, I'd go back to when I was fourteen and had a romantic encounter with a pretty girl named Barbara. I'm pretty sure I could close the deal given a second chance.

If it's to witness a day in history, I supposed I'd like to see how they really built Stonehenge, or the great pyramids. Not sure of the exact dates though.

We must have known the same girl...I was thinking the same thing.

Always been fascinated with paleontology so I'd like to just check out the time of the megafauna during the last ice age or the dinosaurs.

If I had to pick modern time, it would probably be Oct 19, 1781 to watch Cornwallis Surrender at Yorktown. Must of been a sight.

BTW I would do either of these in style using a DeLauren DCM-12 (the one with the Mr Fusion on it). Need that bio-fuel for return trip. I don't think I'd find a clock tower in prehistoric times.

I would love to be in an aircraft flying over the allied invasion fleet at sunrise on June 6, 1944 watching the pre-invasion bombardment and the landing craft going ashore.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If I was allowed to go back for one day it would be January 3rd 2011. It was my mom's birthday and her last year alive. She died in December of the same year. I would just want to celebrate with her, laugh, eat some cake, drink some coffee. No need to talk of any impending doom, but just a day that we could be together and enjoy each others company. Knowing what I know now I would ask her about 2,341 questions.

Top Bottom