What's new

If you could go back in time.

I would go back to any summer day in my late teens. Driving those long straight roads, telephone poles whipping past, windows rolled down, warm humid air blowing into the 1969 Bel Air car. My grandfather smoking a cigar, sitting on the bench seat beside me, a big smile on his face. How he was so thrilled having his grandson drive him around, he would say when asked "where to" - "just drive boy."

A morning spent working chores with the man, coming inside at noon to avoid the midday heat. Grandfather taking off his hat and wiping his brow with a handkerchief. My grandmother setting lunch on the table. Grandad would say grace, then look at me and say "we are living high on the hog boy, yes sir, we are." Then he would take a slice of white bread from those stacked high on the plate, butter the slice, and begin to eat our meal.

Evenings were spent fishing, catching crabs for bait, watering the garden, or just sitting on the porch swing, watching the summer storms roll in from off the bay. My grandmother rocking beside me, grandad in his chair, smoking the last cigar of the day. Some evenings I would catch frogs from the ditch, or chase fireflies down the sand road.

Sitting with my grandmother, reading from the bible while teaching me to memorize passages by lamplight. The great hugs only grand parents can give, just before bedtime. Laying in bed at night, sleepless from the heat and humidity, listen to the rush of nighttime breeze thru the pines. A train whistle and cars moving along the tracks in town could be heard. The rare car rolling by on the main road.

That is the day I would go back to, to see the two greatest people I have ever known.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
ctr,

I was there with you when you went back. Because it is a similar story of mine. Homemade ice cream churned with a hand crank. Playing with the hound dogs. Building a fort in the woods. Climbing my favorite tree and building a tree house.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very nice, ctr. I wish we had fireflies here- I think my grandchildren would have had as much fun catching them as I did when I was a kid.

ctr,

I was there with you when you went back. Because it is a similar story of mine. Homemade ice cream churned with a hand crank. Playing with the hound dogs. Building a fort in the woods. Climbing my favorite tree and building a tree house.

Thanks. The simple things matter the most. To me at least.

Very nice, ctr. I wish we had fireflies here- I think my grandchildren would have had as much fun catching them as I did when I was a kid.

Thank you. Every child should have the chance to chase fireflies. Heck, I still do some summer evenings.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thank you. Every child should have the chance to chase fireflies. Heck, I still do some summer evenings.
I envy you. We don't get them here. But I did blow bubbles the other day, and I hope to fly a kite soon. Simple pleasures can't be beat

My present is far better than all my memories.

My past is what made me what I am today.

There are things I know now only because of the things I did in the past.

And I am now smart enough to know I can learn from what others have done in the past.

And since I can't change the past I look at the future as a big opportunity. The only regret if I have one is that it has taken me more than half my life to learn that material possessions are not what make me happy. Looking at much of what I have actually realize how much of my time on this earth I have wasted in the pursuit of things that hold little value.

I don't think about how my past relationships could have been better but how my current relationships can be better.

I spend as much time with my son as I can. Today he turned 11. Soon he will be at that age where he wants to spend more time with his friends than me. I will mis him but that is they way life is. I want him to be able to live his life, not the life he thinks I want him to l live.

I wish I could go look at the future just to see that he is happy and has a life that is as good or better than mine.

I could care less about he past. It's the future that is important to me. And no matter what we think it is the only thing we have the power to change.

Top Bottom