What's new

Newbie from Cleveland

Welcome! I'm on about the same timeline a you. Best advice I took from here was to keep at it and have patience with the closeness. Another good point was to not change too much too often so you can dial in on the results of your technique and the products you use. However, it's hard not to read the forum and not want to switch soaps, blades, and even razors. Good thing the holidays are approaching.
Good luck.

Augustiner, thanks for the pep talk. You are right. Luxury should be in the process and not how much you pay. By the way, is your name referencing the bier from Munich? It was my go to bier anytime I visited Munich.

fernandezrides, good point. Being on this forum is a double-edged blade, no pun intended. The more I research, the more products I want to buy. I must confess that I already have an extensive rotation and I always want to change it up each time I shave. I will try to stick to one product for a week (3-4 shaves) to dial in it's effectiveness.

Can anyone recommend a masculine, musky scented cream or aftershave? I know that means different things to different people. I really like AOS sandalwood and the Proraso Sandalwood. My ultimate favorite scent would be Nivea. Nivea more than anything takes me back to a certain time and place.

The TOBS sandalwood does not smell like sandalwood!! Too floral and powdery. It makes me think of my grandma's powder room. Eton college is nice and so is Mr Taylors but it seems like they all have a floral base. I can detect a hint of citrus in the Eton College, so I guess I will keep that one. Mr Taylor's smells like a subtle cologne to me. I will keep these tubs, but I probably won't buy them again.

What does Jermyn St, Shaving Shop, and St James smell like? What about avocado, almond, and coconut? Is Geo F Trumpers better than TOBS?

Augustiner, thanks for the pep talk. You are right. Luxury should be in the process and not how much you pay. By the way, is your name referencing the bier from Munich? It was my go to bier anytime I visited Munich.

Yes. Augustiner is referencing the Munich brewery. Munich is a fantastic beer city. Many of the big breweries have their own beer halls or restaurants but I have particularly fond memories of the Augustiner locations. I would say overall though, my favorite Bavarian brewery is Schneider Weisse.

BTW, did you know that Hofbrauhaus just opened up a location in Cleveland? It is located downtown in the Playhouse Square district next to CSU.

Augustiner, oh yes, I am fully aware and I am planning a trip there. I visited the ones in Munich and Cincinnati. Unfortunately, I missed the Columbus opening. Have you been to the Cleveland location yet?

Augustiner, oh yes, I am fully aware and I am planning a trip there. I visited the ones in Munich and Cincinnati. Unfortunately, I missed the Columbus opening. Have you been to the Cleveland location yet?

Yes, I went to the Cleveland location on opening day a couple weeks ago. I just read a story online that the Columbus one opens next Tuesday. I'll have to make it down there some time. Ohio is now stocked with them.

I've been to the locations in Munich, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Chicago.

Thanks all! Wow, now all the Clevelanders will be coming out of the woodwork. Beachwood Mall was the mecca for AOS for sure. Thanks for the advice so far!

Go Tribe, Browns, Cavs, Buckeyes, and Bluejackets!
Not a monsters fan huh? I'm not much for hockey but it's fun seeing how dedicated the like three fans are at those games. Plus I got free tickets :)

Top Bottom