What's new

calling all Edwin Jager 89 owners and experts!

So ive been noticing an issue with my EJ 89Lbl. For the last 2 shaves ive had alot of trouble getting even blade allignment while loading new blades. Ive used new ones each time after a shave because id thought the blade was bad because out of nowhere it wasnt alligning properly.
Now i only tried this twice but i realized i hadnt done a thorough cleaning in a couple shaves so i got out the toothbrush and scrubbed and there came the incredible shine from when it was new. Now that actually didnt fix the problem. But then i noticed, probably because it was so much cleaner, that the wax from the blades that i think hold the wax paper together was on the bottom plate and the head. So i figured, for lack of a better idea, to try cleaning it off to see if that was somehow affecting it....
Well as i said earlier, i only tried this twice so i didnt open too many new blades without using them, but after wiping the wax deposits off the head and bottom plate that the new blade loaded great. But only twice so i cant be sure if this is what was causing it.
My question is, has anyone noticed this or gotten some blades that misses quality control and dont load right? The razor is only 3 weeks old so i cant imagine its the razor.
Can anyone calm my mind about this or is my razor junk? It only started this week.
Thanks alot!!!

Last edited:
Not at the moment. Pretty much when i load tge razor, like i always had, i cpuldnt get the blade exposure on either side to be even. It was always misaligned. Besides when i wiped off the wax deposit from the head and bottom plate that meets the head (where the blade goes), but didnt have enough razors to chance using all of them to test whether it was the razor, the wax from the blades, or badlt made blade.

On each new blade on either side there are two spots of a wax or something similar that holds the outer paper the blade comes in together.
Sorry if im not explaining this correctly. Im new.

Are you saying it's misaligned on both sides evenly, or it's straight but one side has more exposure than the other?

Also, can you wiggle the blade from the sides while you tighten the head and make it straight?

The wax shouldn't have anything to do with what you're experiencing IMO.

Its not crooked. Just one side more exposed than the other. There was wax buildup on the razor. Bottom of the head and top of top plate.
I tried loosening it and pulling the blade the the underexposed side, but didnt work.
Never had this problem before. Just recently. It my razor bad?

As i said, for the two times i tried to wipe the buildup off, it was even by just tightening the handle but dont know whether it was just bad blades.
Does the top plate need to go on a certain way like ive read the progress does?

Its not crooked. Just one side more exposed than the other. There was wax buildup on the razor. Bottom of the head and top of top plate.
I tried loosening it and pulling the blade the the underexposed side, but didnt work.
Never had this problem before. Just recently. It my razor bad?

I've got a DE89 and use Astra SP blades. The blades have a small bit of wax on then, but I haven't noticed it affecting the razor out the blade exposure. I clean the razor thoroughly at each blade change.

I had read this razor is easy to use and shouldnt have to play with the blade so much to get it to work... thats why i bought this as my learning razor. Definitly shouldnt have to or have any problems when its brand new pracrically. :-(

Herm,
Ok so even clean the wax off the razor? Because i had to physically wipe it, didnt come off with the toothbrush and dish soap.
I didnt do a thorough cleaning the last blade change or two. Maybe thats it?!?
Also using astra sp and tried a gilette black once.

Last edited:
I would definitely clean the razor of any wax build up. Then try an new blade, if the problem still exists, try switching the blade around and see if anything changes.

I would definitely clean the razor of any wax build up. Then try an new blade, if the problem still exists, try switching the blade around and see if anything changes.

Ok ill try that. It worked the two times i tried but one of the new blades was from kroger and came in a 10 pack and didnt have wax, but it did work after getting the wax out and using a new astra.

I am a 3 year in shaver and exclusively use a EJ DE89L, it appears that one side always looks like it has more blade showing, I believe that this is all in the head and ignore it and I do get BBS every shave!

Edwin jagger razors have little to no play! Pretty tight tolerance!
Don't worry about it, just shave! You shouldn't be able to notice anything.

I am a 3 year in shaver and exclusively use a EJ DE89L, it appears that one side always looks like it has more blade showing, I believe that this is all in the head and ignore it and I do get BBS every shave!

I hope i, one day, get that good with my EJ.... lol. Id be happy with a DFS without my razor burn and blood lol. Time will tell...

I have two EJ's. The DE89BA11 and a Chatsworth, and use the green Astra blades. I always wipe the wax off the blades with toilet paper before using them. I generally pull the paper to the side, to not hit the cutting edge. If the wax is out far, I just pull straight out, across the cutting edge. Both razors perform beautifully. I've done it that way for nearly three years. I can't imagine your problem being anything but that. KCCO.

Last edited:
I find my EJ to be really mild compared to some of my Vintage Gillettes(which themselves are considered mild). I looked at mine and saw the same thing with one side appearing to show more blade then the other. But I have had nothing but BBS' and the occasional DFS. I would say go slow, light pressure and you should be golden.

I find my EJ to be really mild compared to some of my Vintage Gillettes(which themselves are considered mild). I looked at mine and saw the same thing with one side appearing to show more blade then the other. But I have had nothing but BBS' and the occasional DFS. I would say go slow, light pressure and you should be golden.

+1 Same here!

Top Bottom