What's new

On your cooking Want List?

Yes! A smoker. Must be able to fit 6 racks of ribs flat, or 4 briskets. That's not asking much at all. I have a 22" Weber kettle and a large BGE, but parties of 20 or more get me all nervous without a proper smoker.

My kitchen is a disaster, and needs to be totally gutted and re-done from scratch. New everything. Cabinets, floors, appliances, pots and pans and dishes and small appliances, prep knives and other hand gadgets. About the only thing worth keeping is my mother's sterling-plated silverware, which I use for day-to-day use.

But if I have to pick one item for right now, I'll go with a new dishwasher. I'd like to get one of those 2-drawer models, so I can keep dirty dishes in one and clean dishes in the other. I live alone and only cook for one, so I don't need a large one. I do a load of dishes about every 10 days, but my present unit is over 20 years old and doesn't even begin to get things really clean.

I don't really get the concept of the dishwasher. My wife makes me wash the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher.

If you are single how hard can it be to wash your dishes by hand.

I don't really get the concept of the dishwasher. My wife makes me wash the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher.

If you are single how hard can it be to wash your dishes by hand.
I do wash dishes by hand, and reuse them in between dishwasher cycles. But sometimes, they pile up on me and its easier to throw them in the machine and do them all at once. And no matter how much I wash them by hand, I can never get them squeaky-clean like a dishwasher can. Although my present one isn't up to that level anymore, when I've had dishwashers that worked properly, they did a much better job than I can.

Besides, having a dishwasher gives me a place to store dirty dishes before I can get to them, although as I stated, I'd like to have a 2-drawer model, one for clean, one for dirty. This is common in Europe to see larger kitchens with 2 full-size dishwashers, and that's how they employ them.

When I lived in a neighborhood that had a large population of Orthodox Jewish families, many of them had 2 full-size dishwashers, although they used one for meat and one for dairy dishes, as is required to keep Kosher.

When I was single I let my dishes pile up. Then I just went to paper. It was easier to throw the dirty dishes in the garbage.

I did learn that if you leave cooking oil in a wok long enough it turns into a substance like plastic.

When I was single I let my dishes pile up. Then I just went to paper. It was easier to throw the dirty dishes in the garbage.

I did learn that if you leave cooking oil in a wok long enough it turns into a substance like plastic.
You can afford paper plates? Such an extravagance! When I run out of clean dishes, I just eat straight from the skillet.

Single people should be issued a mess kit.
Yeah, I would buy one for sure. But any old mess kit won't do, it has to have proper pizazz and elegance before it will find its way into my dream kitchen.

I've been looking for a good Spork to keep in my lunch-bag at work for about 6 years now, and I still haven't found a good one. What I'm currently using is this: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3657147

Last edited:
Top Bottom