What's new

Look what was found - and some advice please

I Hope this is the right place to post. If not I apologize. I had to share. A Little back story; as my AD grows from watches to shaving items, my wife and I had discussed the upcoming auction, and my search from some vintage Gillette razors. As my bids for some of the great items kept getting beaten, the discussion moved to something quite surprising. My wife lost her father in the 80's, and my MIL had , of course saved most of my FIL's stuff and my wife had mentioned that she thought he used to wet shave, however had switched to Electric back in the 70's, so there was probably nothing to be found, but she would get with her mom and look when she got a chance. Well the seed had been planted and the daily inquiries by me lasted for about a week, unitl she finally relented and began the search in earnest. Fast forward to today and while driving home from work I called to see if the treasure had been found. Alas she told me the oly thing that was left was some shave cream. I figured an old can of barbasol so I was ready to spend the evening watching the bids for the vintage razors creep upward, and relegated myself to either online or a Saturday at the Antique malls.
When I got home, she ledf me to the Shave den ( very out of character) to show me the Soap ( big deal right ) and this is what was sitting on the counter.

Also somewhat ironic that my avatar title changed to this today LOL
$P1017193.jpg$P1017195.jpg$P1017196.jpg$P1017199.jpg
Along with this was:
Un opened full bottle of Brut 33 by Faberge AS
Un opened package of Old Spice shaving soap and a container never seen before.
A full Can of Brut 33 Shave cream of which still works and feels much more dense that the new stuff

$software.jpg

So Christmas does occur in October. My questions are this:

• I assume this is a slim based on what I have seen, anyway to check the date codes (Found it G1 Jan-Mar 1961
  • The finish is good, how would I sterilize this for use? ( would Barbacide work)(Done thank fellow members for the advice)
  • There are some small rust spot on inside of missle doors.. How do I remove (was superficial came off with cleaning)
  • Plating looks good, should I re-plate? (No need to re-plate finish is great)
  • Both packs of blades are Black, are these special? I have never seen black razor blades (Informed these were orignal blades)
  • I assume the adjustments are for blade exposure, I also assume trial and error? (Will try at one at proceed from there, again thanks for the advice
  • Can anyone tell me the brush history?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Looking forward to shaving with this, and the nostagic aspect and well as the memory of her dad make this a great find.

Thanks for all the advice so far. B & B Members are the BEST!!!

Thanks B & B without finding this forum, this may not have ever come to light.

Last edited:
Some scrubbing bubbles for ten minutes, scrub with light soft toothbrush, rinse. Should make it shinny like new! the rust I have no idea, I am sure someone will chime in. I have always wanted a adjustable, nice find!

Do not trial and error with the numbers, start at one, and shave every day up a notch until it feels to aggressive leave it there or down one.

Looks like you have a nice Fatboy there! They are very sought after as shavers and collectors alike. Great score but even better wife!
As far as replating: Fatboys are a "must have" for anyone serious about collecting. I would see how she looks after some scrubbing bubbles a pass through the dishwasher and a quick alchol dip. The fact that it has sentimental value makes it that much better!

Last edited:
Dude.
Get her something nice immediately.
That is awesome.
Clean...don't replate...keep it "as his".
She's a keeper.

Bloody Hell that's a good score! :thumbup1:

Looks like a Fatboy to me. Congratulations!

Some scrubbing bubbles for ten minutes, scrub with light soft toothbrush, rinse. Should make it shinny like new! the rust I have no idea, I am sure someone will chime in. I have always wanted a adjustable, nice find!

Do not trial and error with the numbers, start at one, and shave every day up a notch until it feels to aggressive leave it there or down one.

Thanks Gents:
Yes she will be receiving a nice gift, dinner, present etc, etc

Cleanup went easy Case is back to bright white. Razor was soaked in Barbacide, scrubbing bubbles for about 1/2 hour toothbrush scrub and them an old jewelers trick of a vodka bath, and a little for me, thenm a polishing cloth looks brand new.

Cash: very happy and looking forward to sharing on the SOTD - Thanks

Still would like to find out about the Black Blades, Called Gillette Blue and if they are OK to use, or if I should leave them as is. The dispensers are metal.
Also what model it is> It looks like a slim, but I do not know how many adjustable models there were. All I know is it says Gillette, Boston Mass and my wife said it could be from about 68-70 since they lived back there then, but it is never leaving my den. Good Day even though my auction bids aint going so well, but I won anyway
Thanks for all the responses

Looks like you have a nice Fatboy there! They are very sought after as shavers and collectors alike. Great score but even better wife!
As far as replating: Fatboys are a "must have" for anyone serious about collecting. I would see how she looks after some scrubbing bubbles a pass through the dishwasher and a quick alchol dip. The fact that it has sentimental value makes it that much better!

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!:w00t:

Thanks Sho
Zed: hear are the post cleanup pics

View attachment 509771View attachment 509772View attachment 509773View attachment 509774

Those cleaned up NICE:thumbup1: really jealous.

! I have a gold fat gillete tech on its way, got some scrubbing bubbles ready since it looks dirty. ( and a cheap schick krona which I have heard awesome things about).

Those cleaned up NICE:thumbup1: really jealous.

! I have a gold fat gillete tech on its way, got some scrubbing bubbles ready since it looks dirty. ( and a cheap schick krona which I have heard awesome things about).

Thanks for the help,. much appreciated sir

The blades in the Blue and White container are "Super Blue Blades." They have a PTFE coating that makes the blades smoother and protects the edge. They will probably shave fine, even as is. They are excellent blades, and I use them about half the time DE shaving. The ones in the Blue and Gold container are older blue blades. They may or may not shave well. I would not use those right away. The blue blades in that style of container are probably from the 60's and not PTFE coated.

I've seen unopened Old Spice soap go for 50 dollars on eBay. But. that was from the early 1980's. Can you post a picture of the mug the soap came in?

Just in case it was overlooked.... it's a FATBOY, not a slim.

Vez, yes my inexperience in vintage razors led me to believe that at first, but posting over on the Double Edge Sub forum I found out , indeed a fatboy G1 date code So Jan-Mar 1961 Birthdate. Also found out today that my FIL, bought in 1961 while living in NY, and moved to electrics in 1962 or early 63 and it sat in a box from then until last night.

Top Bottom