What's new

Look what was found - and some advice please

The blades in the Blue and White container are "Super Blue Blades." They have a PTFE coating that makes the blades smoother and protects the edge. They will probably shave fine, even as is. They are excellent blades, and I use them about half the time DE shaving. The ones in the Blue and Gold container are older blue blades. They may or may not shave well. I would not use those right away. The blue blades in that style of container are probably from the 60's and not PTFE coated.

Great find and an even better story. Big congrats on the scores.

I've seen unopened Old Spice soap go for 50 dollars on eBay. But. that was from the early 1980's. Can you post a picture of the mug the soap came in?

Nice razor, great story.

Very cool.
Enjoy the shaves and report on them!

The blades have date codes on them too. Both dispensers appear period correct for your Fatty.

Vez, yes my inexperience in vintage razors led me to believe that at first, but posting over on the Double Edge Sub forum I found out , indeed a fatboy G1 date code So Jan-Mar 1961 Birthdate. Also found out today that my FIL, bought in 1961 while living in NY, and moved to electrics in 1962 or early 63 and it sat in a box from then until last night.

Thanks Everyone:
@Nuke: There was no Mug, not that it may not be around ( possible another box in the attic?) but it just was in the original box of a type I had never seen before. I was tempted to use it this morning, but just could not bring myself to open the shrink wrap. I think I WTG, XTG, AGT, cleanup. All in all a DFS, A bit of razor burn ( by virtue of what the Alum told me probably due to the razor being lighter and shorter than my Weber ( used to much pressure) but the clean up, buffing and J Hooking was better than the Weber, even set at 3. I will try 4 tomorrow to see what happens.

Thanks again for all your comments and help with this razor. Much appreciated

Enjoy your day

Thanks for the help,. much appreciated sir

The blades in the Blue and White container are "Super Blue Blades." They have a PTFE coating that makes the blades smoother and protects the edge. They will probably shave fine, even as is. They are excellent blades, and I use them about half the time DE shaving. The ones in the Blue and Gold container are older blue blades. They may or may not shave well. I would not use those right away. The blue blades in that style of container are probably from the 60's and not PTFE coated.

I've seen unopened Old Spice soap go for 50 dollars on eBay. But. that was from the early 1980's. Can you post a picture of the mug the soap came in?

Nice razor, great story.

Very cool.

The blades have date codes on them too. Both dispensers appear period correct for your Fatty.

Just in case it was overlooked.... it's a FATBOY, not a slim.

Vez, yes my inexperience in vintage razors led me to believe that at first, but posting over on the Double Edge Sub forum I found out , indeed a fatboy G1 date code So Jan-Mar 1961 Birthdate. Also found out today that my FIL, bought in 1961 while living in NY, and moved to electrics in 1962 or early 63 and it sat in a box from then until last night.

Thanks Everyone:

@ Nuke. there was no mug just the box and soap ( it may be in a box I have not gone through at MIL's) I was tempted to use the soap, however I could not bring myself to bust it out of the shrink wrap. I think I will keep it as is for now anyway,I have enough soap.

Well the 1st shave was "interesting". Being used to my Weber, I did not know what to expect and based on advice I tried the Fatboy at #1 setting and began a pass ( that was not going to work ). So moved to 2 ( again not much ) moved to 3 and finished the shave. WTG, XTG, AGT, Cleanup All in all a DFS but will try 4 maybe 5 tomorrow. there was a bit of razor burn ( feedback from the alum ) this is probably technique related, as the fatboy is shorter and lighter so I most likely was putting on too much pressure, but no nicks or weepers. I did notice while doing clean up, that the Buffing and J hooking was much easier and better than even the Weber, so we will continue to learn this razor

Again, Thanks everyone for the advice and nice comments, Much appreciated

Thanks for the help,. much appreciated sir

Nice razor, great story.

Very cool.

Just in case it was overlooked.... it's a FATBOY, not a slim.

Very nice Fatboy, and an heirloom to boot! You can't beat that combination! Congrats and enjoy!!

Thanks

Very nice. Awesome to have something that has been in the family. My MIL tells me her dad who just passed at 92 had an old razor around the house somewhere. I occasionally ask about it but now think she just doesn't want to "find" it because she knows how into collecting I am now and she might think I would ask for it. Maybe one day she will be ready to let it go, whatever it may be. Could be a real gem. He always made good money and bought quality.

Top Bottom