What's new

Shave mug suggestions

So the other day I broke my Shaving mug. I was wondering if any of you guys knew where to get a plastic shave mug? Because I've been looking high and low and I can't find them anywhere.

Coffee mug cabinet has a nice supply of odd and end mugs that are great for shaving mugs. Always a good idea to ask the wife if you can have one first, save a knot on the head with a rolling pin.:001_smile

Coffee mug cabinet has a nice supply of odd and end mugs that are great for shaving mugs. Always a good idea to ask the wife if you can have one first, save a knot on the head with a rolling pin.:001_smile
+1. If that fails, my favorite is a vintage Old Spice mug, which you can still find on eBay at reasonable prices. I have the lid that from a scented candle that is just the right size to sit on top of the mug and keep it reasonably well sealed.

I asked her for mug after mug after bowl after bowl. Turns out, each and every one of them was her favorite! So I go on amazon and bought a few ceramic bowls and mugs. I really like the heft and feel of ceramic, and it might be my imagination, but I feel like it lathers better for some reason. The downside being that they are obviously quite breakable, which is clearly not what the OP is looking for, but my point is that a quick search on ebay or Amazon will turn up some good options. But don't search for "shaving mugs," or "shaving bowls," because it won't turn up much, and what it does show is all expensive, or cheap looking, or both. Instead, search for things like "shatter-proof mug," or "wooden bowl."

The perfect vessel is out there, waiting for you to find out, and it might be as close so your kitchen.

Interesting thread.... I always thought (been at this for less than a week ;)) that porcelain, stone, ceramic was better for lather as it remained warm while you shave. Am I nuts here?

BTW I am using an old cereal bowl that I find too big, but it does the job instead of the $20+ options on amazon

I have looked at the Marvy on Amazon but it appears pretty deep for it's diameter.

+1 on the Vintage Old Spice mug, if you are using hard soap it is great and has the little ridges inside to keep the puck in there. I use a Latte / Coffee mug for bowl lathering. Works great and can be had cheep at most thrift stores.

I have an old Old Spice mug but stopped using because it was too short, lather slopped over the edge. Currently using an Avon mug, it's OK but a bit narrow at the top so I get a lot of clinking while lathering; the Marvy mugs are similarly shaped although they wouldn't clink as much being a softer material. I'll probably try an Apothecary shaped mug next.

Interesting thread.... I always thought (been at this for less than a week ;)) that porcelain, stone, ceramic was better for lather as it remained warm while you shave. Am I nuts here?

I didn't think about folks wanting to keep their lather warm. I do use some warm water to "bloom" the soap while I'm showering, but I lather with a brush that's been soaking in cold water for a few minutes. As such, the wooden bowl works fine for me.

Top Bottom