What's new

Newbie from OK

Hello all,

I've enjoyed snooping around here picking up tips as I work on improving my technique with my EJ de89. I've been at it for about 1.5 months. I've used Derby's (that came with it), Personna Blues, and currently Astra SPs. I'm on the second of three Astras and perhaps it's just this blade, but I don't seem to be getting as close as I did with the Personna Blues. We'll see when it's time to move to the last of the Astras. After that it'll be Gillette Silver Blues, then 7 o'clock SPs, then Bluebirds, then Feathers. Three of each to get a feel for them.

I've got a VDH boar brush that works okay. Nothing else to compare it to as of yet. I hope to get a badger for or around Xmas. I've used VDH deluxe soap w/the shea and VDH luxury soap. I prefer the lather and shave with the deluxe, but like the scent of the VDH luxury. I've made uberlather with KMF with each of them and now do the same with Arko. The Arko really lathers nicely (alone and in the uberlather with KMF) which says a lot considering the water we have here in OK. The VDH luxury did not hold a lather well on its ownand would almost always dissipate, but did well with an uberlather.

For the past couple of weeks I've used Noxzema as a pre-shave and that has helped immensely. I generally use it for each pass. I'm thinking of making my own preshave w/ castor and olive oils, though I see all kinds of ratios offered here and elsewhere with some heavier on the castor and some heavier on the olive.

I've even tried cold water shaving a couple of times recently and it certainly reduced the irritation I usually get on my neck. Went back to a hot water shave today and it was a bit more irritating again. I'll keep experimenting with various water temps as the weather changes over here in Sooner country.

Aftershave balm has been the Nivea line, both the sensitive and the original. Gave up on the original because it kept stinging so bad on the irritated neck, but now that the irritation has subsided quite a bit, I'm probably going to go back to it or the double action balm depending on how it smells. I've also started using witch hazel before the balm and that has helped as well.

I'm hoping to try other soaps like Mike's, Stirlings, and HTGAM as I've seen high reviews for each of them. Those will have to wait as I'm just a poor preacher gettin' by.

Okay, I've said way too much for an intro/first post. I'll stop now. :001_rolle

Reverend Jim

Greetings Rev Jim! Welcome to Badger and Blade. Good to have you with us. Lots of benefits to Cold Water Shaving. :thumbup1:

Howdy neighbor! What part of Oklahoma do you live in? (I'm in Tulsa myself)

If you are anywhere near OKC you should check out Carvers Shave Shop. Lots of things to look at and sniff there although most of it is not on the cheap side.

If you are in the Tulsa area I can hook you up with a couple of soap samples pretty easy. Give you a taste of a few artisans...

Hello and welcome to B&B, Rev. This is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Welcome aboard Rev. Jim, lots of information, support, and opinions here, sounds like you are coming along nicely!

Welcome to the B & B forum Rev. Jim! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Top Bottom