What's new

Uses per blade, slant users?

Does anyone using a slant find the uses per blade less shaving with a slant. I usually got up to 5 with my EJ89/Feathers. Now with the 37 C it's about 3.

But much more smooth and effortless. So I think it's a decent trade....

I am actually finding the opposite for the most part. I am able to get an extra shave (or two) when used in Slant. 3-4 with Astras/Feathers, 5-6 with Personna Labs, even Derby's and Sharks perform quite well.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Opposite effect here. I can take a blade that feels horribly used up in a Super Speed and get another sweet shave (or two) out of it in my German slant.

Hi,

I use US made Personna blades. In an unslanted DE, I would get 3-4 shaves out of a blade. With the Generic Solingen-made single slant, I would get 7-8. With the Fasan Double Slant I was getting 12-14 during One Blade February. I have throttled that back to seven (7) days. I was noting a performance fall off at 9-10 days, so 12-14 was really pushing it.

The single slant was unmarked as to brand, so I refer to it as Generic. It is known to be made in Solingen Germany and is the style where one side is more aggressive than the other. The Double Slant has twice the twist, hence the Double Slant name, and is also differentially aggressive. So, these slants are not the same as current production ones.

The key to the number of shaves is, I think, due to their greater cutting efficiency. I pull two passes as opposed to three to get DFS. We should probably be counting passes instead of shaves.....

I opt to change out my blade on Monday. I actually get a couple extra passes from a blade because I use a new blade in my Old Type for one pass, one or two days a week, to get BBS. The blade from the OT moves into the Fasan on Mondays with a pass or two of use already on it. Then, it gets 14 more passes before it hits the bin.

My list of unslanted razors which went 3-4 days of 3 passes each day is fairly long. But, the two slants still do better if we count passes (12 vs 16) rather than days (4 vs 7).

Stan

Last edited:
We should probably be counting passes instead of shaves.....

I agree. I've made that comment in posts before. Facial hair and/or head shave should also be used as qualifiers. I keep a goatee, so my shave is only about 2/3 of someone who is clean shaven. Plus, if you do 2 pass shaves and I do 4, then it would make sense that I only get half the number of shaves that you do.

I agree. I've made that comment in posts before. Facial hair and/or head shave should also be used as qualifiers. I keep a goatee, so my shave is only about 2/3 of someone who is clean shaven. Plus, if you do 2 pass shaves and I do 4, then it would make sense that I only get half the number of shaves that you do.

agree completely.

i get approx 6 shaves out of each iridium super blade - and 1 shave = 2 passes (no touch-up). each blade thus yields me 12 passes.

Dunno yet. I've used my 37C only three times. The Personna Red is still doing fine. I expect that I'll get at least five.

Top Bottom