What's new

Noob From Alabama

Hello, gentlemen (and any ladies that may happen to browse the forums here). Long time lurker, first time poster here. DE shaving has long fascinated me and I've frequented the forums here sporadically for a few years but have never taken the dive into DE shaving. I guess I have been a little intimidated by the whole thing.

Well that changed around a week ago when I got my Edwin Jagger Kelvin in the mail. As soon as I took it out of it's box I was stunned. The craftsmanship, the heft and the beauty of it... I loved the razor from first sight. And I could tell it is a quality piece that I could possibly pass down to a grandchild one day.

The first shave was a little rocky. Working on kicking bad habits and getting used to the short, heavy handle and finding the right angle for me resulted in a nick, a couple of weepers and mild razor burn. The subsequent 3 shaves have been wonderful though. It's a closer, more enjoyable shave than any I have ever experienced with a cartridge razor and when I watch my form I experience zero razor burn. My Mach 3 always gave me some razor burn on my neck unless the blade was mint.

And today my enjoyment with DE shaving got even better. I got my Badger and Blade Essential boar hair brush in from West Coast. The seafoam color is stunning in person. Beautiful brush. I just had to have a shave. So I went into the bathroom, filled a mug for it to soak in and got out my Van Der Hagen soap. Loaded the B&B Essential up and proceeded to face lather... WOW! The backbone in this brush is unreal and the softness beats out my cheap Van Der Hagen brush by a mile.

My experience with my Badger and Blade brush inspired me to finally sign up here and take the time to introduce myself. Thanks to every one of you guys for the advice, opinions on products and general shaving insights you all provide here. I have found a hobby that I truly enjoy and I hope to give as big of a contribution as I can to this fine community.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum; enjoy your time here. Enter your data in the Hall of Fame Section if so inclined and check out the Shave Wiki Section for tips on getting started, gear, etc. You made some good choices for your "startup" gear.

Welcome to the B & B forum JC! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

I have that brush too and love it! When you ready, check out Cella italian soap that gets along awesome with boar brush!

Top Bottom