What's new

New to DE and Straight wet shaver!

Hi fellas. Just dropping in to introduce myself.

I am new to shaving with a DE / Straight but I have used a brush and soap for years with multiblade razors. I shaved with canned goop when I started but always gets bumps (ingrown hairs?) and razor burn/irritation everytime I shave and have started to dread shaving. I shave once a week just because of it.

Then I started with Wilkinson's soap and brush a couple years back. The difference is staggering. less bumps. a little (if any) irritations. I can shave three times a week now.

I bought a gilette tech 1952 ball-end a few days ago and found that my shave feels bbs(after 3 passes)! no irritation.. no bumps.. no cuts! for the love of... that was my most wonderful/closest shave after 10 years.

Except yesterday... i gave myself 8 bloody whiskers in a single spot... the angle is awesome difficult to get... (any tips? I heard of placing the head against the face and rolling until i feel the blade.. i haven't tried it yet.)

I have ordered a shumate 4/8 straight razor.... I cant wait to get it and train to use it...

I also dabble in fountain pens... the inks are so addicting.... haha.:lol:

Well, to make things short. thats my background. Hope to enjoy my time here.

Hi Yanyi: Welcome to B&B. Glad that you joined us. As far as advice so you don't repeat your 1st bad shave, just continue to take your time, no pressure on the razor, take your time, be patient, take your time, and enjoy the process or "pamper-time" that is wet shaving.

So... you like fountain pens, also. Wow... you definitely came to the right place. We have a great section here called "The Nib". That is another fun section if you love fountain pens. Again, welcome to B&B. Enjoy your time here. I know I am.

WARHAWK

thanks so much everyone. glad to be here. thanks for the tip. when i am training i tend to try and beat the clock a little to make sure i am not getting slower and slower, but you are right. i will try again and make sure i do not watch the clock this time around. focus on the shave.

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

thanks so much everyone. glad to be here. thanks for the tip. when i am training i tend to try and beat the clock a little to make sure i am not getting slower and slower, but you are right. i will try again and make sure i do not watch the clock this time around. focus on the shave.

While learning go slow and steady, that way you can determine what areas you need to focus on.

thanks again everyone!

lol eperdu, lets just say I used "fellas" in a vague-sexual-orientation sense that only expresses a more familiar and friendly greeting. hahah. if you like inks, you should also like demonstrators and eye dropper pens... XD I am buying myself a TWSBI 580 pretty soon. XD

I received my straight razor today and between my DE and my straight.. i would like to train on my straight. this is going to be a grand undertaking. putting the blade close to my face already makes me nervous. hahahaha.

Top Bottom