What's new

First Barber Straight Razor Shave

Most towns in the UK seem to have at least one Turkish barbers, and some of them give very good straight shaves. The one where I get my hair cut does a very decent shave for £15; not fancy, but very competent.

Sorry your xperience was lass than decent. I have also contemplated getting a shave at my shop. There is only one guy that I would have do it. The owner! He is a younger guy but his father was a barber and we always talk about razors and collecting them. They also use shavettes but he said if I brought my own straight in he could use it on me. Of course I don't have one that is shave ready nor the skills to make it so. I will probably stick w/ my DE and let them cut my hair and shave my neck!

Will people please just listen to me and STOP PAYING THE BARBERS FOR A STRAIGHT SHAVE!?

Read all of the stories here on B&B- 99% of the "I got a straight shave at the barber's for my anniverssary/wedding/guy's night out....etc" are almost universally a waste of money!

$75 to have a guy put a hot towel on your face?

Fugghedaboutit!

Straight shaves will get you the best, closest, most maly shave of your life. But the guy holding the razor HAS to know what he's doing.

That guy may as well be YOU!

Go to the BST, the Hobbyist Classifieds, Whipped dog, etc and buy yourself a nice shave ready straight for that $75 and you will have yourself a pleasant pastime for the rest of your life, and will, in short time also be getting some damn fantastic shaves.

Stop paying for hot towels.

Reports of poor shaves at a barber's hands are not uncommon here. Once in a while a rave comes through, but that's the exception. I don't think anyone can shave my face to my liking as well as I can.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I had a great one downtown Toronto by Maple Leaf Gardens about 30 years ago. I have no recollection of price, but it couldn't have been that expensive, as I made about 19k/year back then.

Will people please just listen to me and STOP PAYING THE BARBERS FOR A STRAIGHT SHAVE!?

Read all of the stories here on B&B- 99% of the "I got a straight shave at the barber's for my anniverssary/wedding/guy's night out....etc" are almost universally a waste of money!

$75 to have a guy put a hot towel on your face?

Fugghedaboutit!

Straight shaves will get you the best, closest, most maly shave of your life. But the guy holding the razor HAS to know what he's doing.

That guy may as well be YOU!

Go to the BST, the Hobbyist Classifieds, Whipped dog, etc and buy yourself a nice shave ready straight for that $75 and you will have yourself a pleasant pastime for the rest of your life, and will, in short time also be getting some damn fantastic shaves.

Stop paying for hot towels.

+100 for this. Never had a barber do it, but it is great to learn and be able to do it yourself. Plus after the initial investment you can do it whenever you pleaase for no cost.

I had a great one downtown Toronto by Maple Leaf Gardens about 30 years ago. I have no recollection of price, but it couldn't have been that expensive, as I made about 19k/year back then.

I think I spot the difference....

Back when a barber knew how to use a razor.

I like the little barbershop I use here in Kennesaw, Ga. But, I know from the way they shave my neck with their shavette, there's no way I'm letting them shave my face!

Barber straight shaving is almost a lost art. Sorry you spent that $$, but doing so saved you from doing that for your groomsmen. I would go crazy sitting in that chair for an hour. A shave should just be towel prep, lather, shave, re-lather, shave, aftershave and done. 20 minutes max.

Sounds to me like this guy was trying to make up for poor skills with a bunch of towel, oil, and clay mumbo-jumbo.

Top Bottom