What's new

Complimentary scents?

Something I've never really been sure of, and haven't known who to ask;

Is it wise to use different scents for soap, aftershave, cologne, hair/beard/moustache treatment, etc.? I've always felt that I am quite good at marrying scents that share common notes, but my wife and her friend were talking the other day and they seemed to feel that guys should stick to one scent at a time. It wasn't as if the conversation was about me, and it kinda seemed like my wife's friend felt like I agreed with her without me saying so, so I don't think she realized that I do wear "complimentary" scents.

I'm just curious how other guys view this practice. Are there rules for it? Is there a science to it? Or, if it is a thing to do, is it best to just "wing it," and go with what smells best to you? I personally know a couple of guys that clearly do not know how strong their cologne is, and I have issues with paranoia that I might become like them. I guess I'm not sure that I trust myself to know exactly how I smell to others, which is why I like science and rules.

But of course I don't really expect that. I just kinda want to know what you guys do, and if you have a theory about it, that would be an excellent bonus.

I mix and match. Most soaps, body washes, shaving soaps/creams and AS splashes (at least the ones I use) have fairly faint and short lived scents, so the EDT/EDC tends to dominate anyways. I suppose there are some combinations that wouldn't mix — maybe rose with pine — but most of mine tend to fall into the woody or herbal categories, so this has never been a problem.

I've been experimenting with different soaps, ***, and EdT/Cs combinations. Bath soap, face wash, shampoo, and hair conditioner are static.

I really don't worry about it. I think mixing fragrances is generally a bad idea, but all other products aren't designed to have a long-lasting scent, they just smell good while being used. The exception I might make is using a scented aftershave, which may conflict with a fragrance.

I only have a limited amount of aftershaves but I figure the smell of the soap wears off quickly enough for me to use whatever I want. When it comes to the aftershave and cologne, I've got a cologne that has a barbershop-type scent so I'll use my Fine American Blend aftershave with it. When I use my Bay Rum aftershave, I usually won't wear any cologne.

In my opinion, the only time this comes into question is with aftershave splash and a cologne or perfume. And it would have to be a very strong aftershave to clash with a cologne for more than a few minutes.

Top Bottom