What's new

Strange red hone

Hi, I received this hone with a bulk lot of razors. I have honed with Norton, barbers, shampton and coti's before. This feels very hard like a synthetic. Water beads on the top. Has a nice even fine feedback. When rubbed with a Belgian blue slurry stone it produced a red slurry and feels much rougher feedback when honing on the slurry. Touched up a razor on it 100 passes with water and a little pressure hht4 off the stone which is what I normally get. Shaves smooth like a coti, feels a bit finer and more refined than my coti. Any ideas if it's a natural or not ? $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413796834.119668.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413796854.670858.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413796878.672722.jpg

Mike,
I have that exact item. On the other side is a strip of leather. It was made by Pike's and it's a barbers hone. In good condition, many guys consider them collectible. I never use barber's hones but thought I'd keep mine for the leather part as something handy to use while honing. Here's a thread elsewhere on it.

Mike,
I have that exact item. On the other side is a strip of leather. It was made by Pike's and it's a barbers hone. In good condition, many guys consider them collectible. I never use barber's hones but thought I'd keep mine for the leather part as something handy to use while honing. Here's a thread elsewhere on it.

Thats it !! Used dry they say ? The leather side on mine is unusable with holes and dents all over it. It gives a nice edge definately a finer grade than the other barbers hone I have.

Yeah, it's a pikes stropback.

The brazilian quartz barber hones are black unless very well lit, then they are slightly maroon and translucent.

Top Bottom