What's new

Adding water between passes (face lather)

Face latherers, do you add more water to your face between passes? Or do you build your lather to the consistency you want, and then just paint on for the other passes? Still getting the hang of the face lather here!

I add a dash of water to the brush because I use exclusively synthetic brushes which dry quickly. Maybe I'll rub my face with wet hands if I feel that i need to judge that pass as a whole, but then I forgo the dash of water to the brush. With a badger brush, I'd expect the extra water to be for more for face moisturizing than anything. If the lather collapses on your brush while doing a pass, then that might be more a soap/water ratio problem and adding water would be thinning an already anemic soap. Best with your venture into radical face lahering!

Face latherers, do you add more water to your face between passes? Or do you build your lather to the consistency you want, and then just paint on for the other passes? Still getting the hang of the face lather here!
Yeah personally I do add water between passes, but I am no expert at all and I do not claim to speak the truth.

I add a dash of water to the brush because I use exclusively synthetic brushes which dry quickly...

I hold my synthetic brush under the faucet and let dribble a few drops of hot water to 'liven' it up. Just a drop or two, not a gulley gusher.

By default, I do not rinse between passes as the remaining excess water can inadvertently break down the lather. I will paint on more lather and assess the quality of the lather at that time. If needed, I'll add more water by dipping the tips of the brush.

I make sure that when I wash my face between passes that my face isn't sopping wet. I used to do that when I started and the second pass wouldn't be as comfortable because the lather was just running off with the excess water. I guess it takes time to gauge how much you should still have on your face with regards to the moisture level of your lather.

If the first pass wasn't as slick as I would have liked it, lather was a little dry, then yeah, I'll add a bit, especially if I'm using my synth. Or like others said, I'll just make sure there is a liberal amount of water on my face after I rinse the first pass away.

Top Bottom