What's new

Different creams = different results?

Hi guys, newbie here, with what is probably a silly question:
Will different shaving creams result in a different shave?
I hacked the crap out of my face on Friday night, same preshave routine, razor blade that I had used three times, a two day growth, etc.
It was so bad, huge line across my throat, looked like someone had tried to kill me as well as other nasty nicks so I had to stop and switch out blades. The only difference between that shave and the other on Wednesday was that I switched to a different shaving cream, I was trying out TOBS Sandalwood. I tried it again tonight and got some minor nicks and burn.

Any help/ thoughts out there??

My guess is either too much pressure while shaving or your lather was on the dry side or too wet. What brush and razor are you using?

Hi Adrian, welcome!
IMHO, the only silly question is the one I don't ask!

Assuming my face prep and lather are OK, I've found that irritation/burn and nicks are almost always the result of inconsistent/incorrect blade angle and/or too much pressure against my skin.

The habit of pressing the blade against my face was ingrained from years of cartridge and disposable shaving.
Once I learned some new techniques, developed some new muscle memory, and practiced for a while, shaving became a pleasure, and it can happen for you, too!

I don't have the links handy to the info here on B&B on these topics, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Meanwhile, take your time, enjoy, and you'll have it down before you know it!

there is a slight chance that you had a bad blade, other than that some creams do give me smoother shaves than onthers like cella gives me decent shaves or arko but razorock xxx or zi peppino give me more slickness and cushiony shaves but never had a soap cause what you described. Remember minimal pressure and correct blade angle and you should greatly reduce or all together eliminate your irritation and or decapitation attempts lol

It could be the cream, but the damage you did makes me wonder if there might have been something else involved: prep neglected, bad blade, poor technique, etc. I'd probably use another cream and another blade and then try to get back in the groove. It'll get better.

+1 for this. Watch your angle and pressure.

It could be the cream, but the damage you did makes me wonder if there might have been something else involved: prep neglected, bad blade, poor technique, etc. I'd probably use another cream and another blade and then try to get back in the groove. It'll get better.

Never apply pressure, I rather shave 3x over one spot then apply pressure, especially on the neck you need to be extra careful. You can try a sharper blade, I have thick hair so I noticed this too. I have to use an aggressive open comb razor with a sharp blade such as Permasharp and Feather. If I use an another blade like Derby my entire face will be a razor burn.

There is a difference between shaving soaps/creams. Some lather up easy others not, some are very slick while others aren't. If you get more experience you'll be able to use any soap with no problems.

Your story reminds me when I tried an open comb razor for the first time. It was way too aggressive because I wasn't used to it, the only razor I used before was a Merkur 34C HD (closed comb). Now I only use the open comb razor and I get the best results ever. Whatever you do don't give up, you'll get the hang of it.

May I recommend you Proraso shaving cream? This soap is so easy to lather, within 15 secs you'll have great lather.

Thanks for the Proraso suggestion. I am working my way through a TOBS variety pack and need to kill them off before getting a new one.

Never apply pressure, I rather shave 3x over one spot then apply pressure, especially on the neck you need to be extra careful. You can try a sharper blade, I have thick hair so I noticed this too. I have to use an aggressive open comb razor with a sharp blade such as Permasharp and Feather. If I use an another blade like Derby my entire face will be a razor burn.

There is a difference between shaving soaps/creams. Some lather up easy others not, some are very slick while others aren't. If you get more experience you'll be able to use any soap with no problems.

Your story reminds me when I tried an open comb razor for the first time. It was way too aggressive because I wasn't used to it, the only razor I used before was a Merkur 34C HD (closed comb). Now I only use the open comb razor and I get the best results ever. Whatever you do don't give up, you'll get the hang of it.

May I recommend you Proraso shaving cream? This soap is so easy to lather, within 15 secs you'll have great lather.
+1

IMHO every soap or cream have their "personnality"... some may require more water, others need a little more work to generate a good thick lather... At least, it is what i found since i started wet shaving a few months ago... And i find it very rewarding to obtain a proper lather out of a new soap or cream... But, YMMV... Just try and enjoy the ride ! And welcome to the forum, Friend...

Top Bottom