What's new

Razorock Captian's Choice Bay Rum

Gents,

I just purchased a tub of razorock bay rum (cream in a plastic tub).

I tired it for the first time today and got a pretty horrible lather.

Being a newbie, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. I usually get excellent results with TOBS.

Here's what I did:

-Soak brush in hot water for 1 min ( I use silvertip brush from royal shave - can't recall the exact loft. It is very soft / floppy)

- Shook excess water from brush and applied (swirled) it to the cream for about 20 30 seconds

- face lathered and add few drops of water throughout the lathering process.

No matter how much I lathered and adding water occasionally, I wasn't able to get a creamy consistency. There was absolutely zero slickness and the blade was barely moving !

It was so bad, that I washed off my face and used tobs !

Any suggestions of what I'm doing wrong.

Btw, I'm using a merkur 34c with feather blades. I used a brand new blade while trying the razorock.

Any opinions for razorock aficionados is appreciated.

Best,

Ara

First off, Razorock is a soft Italian soap and not a cream. It sounds like you loaded the brush properly for a soft soap, but I can't be sure without actually seeing it. If your brush is really floppy it's possible that not enough soap is loading on the brush in the 30 second. Razorock can hold quite a bit of water, so maybe you still didn't have enough even though you thought you added plenty. Check out the Marco method for a great way of lathering soaps.

Hi.
I just used that soap this morning and was blown away by the lather I got. As was suggested below, check out Marco's method. I'd post a link but I'm on Tapatalk and it is a PITA that way. I use Marco's method almost every time I shave and it works like a champ...ESPECIALLY with the Italian soft soaps.

When you soak your brush, don't shake or squeeze it. Take it right to the tub. Swirl it for a good minute and keep swirling until you feel the weight of the soap in your brush. Splash some water on your face and lather away. Add a drizzle of water here and there when you feel the brush start to "bog down." You should soon have copious amounts of thick, slick lather. I had enough for 4 or 5 passes this morning.

Be sure to seek out Marco's post on his method. He explains it much more eloquently. Keep at, though. It's SO worth it. Enjoy.

Hi.
I just used that soap this morning and was blown away by the lather I got. As was suggested below, check out Marco's method. I'd post a link but I'm on Tapatalk and it is a PITA that way. I use Marco's method almost every time I shave and it works like a champ...ESPECIALLY with the Italian soft soaps.

When you soak your brush, don't shake or squeeze it. Take it right to the tub. Swirl it for a good minute and keep swirling until you feel the weight of the soap in your brush. Splash some water on your face and lather away. Add a drizzle of water here and there when you feel the brush start to "bog down." You should soon have copious amounts of thick, slick lather. I had enough for 4 or 5 passes this morning.

Be sure to seek out Marco's post on his method. He explains it much more eloquently. Keep at, though. It's SO worth it. Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip.
I knew it was a user error.
I will check Marcos post on lathering.

Best,

Ara

First off, Razorock is a soft Italian soap and not a cream. It sounds like you loaded the brush properly for a soft soap, but I can't be sure without actually seeing it. If your brush is really floppy it's possible that not enough soap is loading on the brush in the 30 second. Razorock can hold quite a bit of water, so maybe you still didn't have enough even though you thought you added plenty. Check out the Marco method for a great way of lathering soaps.
+1, maybe consider a boar brush which works awesome with Italian soaps

Having used Marcos Method for the first time last night, my question is what does one do with the lather left on the soap when all is said and done? It's worked well and had a wonderful shave, but don't want to waste anything.

Thanks.

Having used Marcos Method for the first time last night, my question is what does one do with the lather left on the soap when all is said and done? It's worked well and had a wonderful shave, but don't want to waste anything.

Thanks.

My soap bowl can be sealed so I just leave the remaining lather on the soap and it will be ready the next time. Lather is just soap, air and water so when you are done the bubbles pop and some water evaporates and the soap goes back to being, well soap.

Top Bottom