What's new

Replacement strop leather recommendation please

Which one?

• I Leather

• II Leather

• III Buffalo

• Roo

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think I'm going to order a replacement piece for the nicked up, sliced up English Bridle I got about 6 months ago from SRD. What do you all recommend as a replacement piece?

A. Premium I Leather
B. Premium II Leather
C. Premium III Buffalo
D. Premium Roo

And do any off these need preparation and regular maintenance (other than the twice a week rub down with my palm that I've been giving my existing Bridle)?

Thanks.

I had the English Bridle and it was OK but nothing special. I read that the Roo has the lightest draw so that would be my choice. It is thinner than the others but that should not dissuade you.

Maybe twice a year you can clean your strop with a wet washcloth. Never rub with a dry cloth. Takeshi at AFramesTokyo quotes Mr. Kanayama who says to use a wet cloth but not dripping. You can wipe until the water almost seeps to the back. Then just let it dry. Once dry, rub with your palm. I did mine last night and the strop did not change in draw or appearance. No soaps, oils etc... They just gum things up. If it was tanned properly, you only want to wash away any embedded dust and particles that accumulate over time.

Last edited:
Totally not what you asked so I did not vote, but my recommendation would be to invest in a new strop.

Neil Miller
or
Tony Miller
or
Kanayama
or
Scruppleworks
or
Walkin Horse

Totally not what you asked so I did not vote, but my recommendation would be to invest in a new strop.

Neil Miller
or
Tony Miller
or
Kanayama
or
Scruppleworks
or
Walkin Horse

Thanks. I wish I could try something new all together. But mom's B-Day is coming up (-$300 cash gift). I put off getting a replacement watch band for my 13 year old Baume et Mercier watch and that's going to set me back ($275 - $350). About $700 broker than usual :bored:

I consider myself lucky to scrap up the $60 for a replacement piece of leather.

Try the Roo strop. I bet you like it more than the bridle leather. Why pay for hardware again if you don't have to.

Okay, based on the overwhelming vote for Roo. I got that and it's here. Any special prep I need to do to it to make it 'strop-ready' other than give it a few rubs with the palm of my hand?

It is ready to go. Don't do anything. Just strop. Later you can rub with the palm of your hand to warm it up. Don't ever put anything on it. Not needed until 2035.

finally tried it today. Man... You guys are right! Night & Day difference compared to the English Bridle! Does anyone if the 3-hole hardware mount are universal between the different makers? For example, if Tony Miller sells "replacement" 3" leather only that I can get and screw onto the SRD hardware that I already have?

Legion

Staff member
finally tried it today. Man... You guys are right! Night & Day difference compared to the English Bridle! Does anyone if the 3-hole hardware mount are universal between the different makers? For example, if Tony Miller sells "replacement" 3" leather only that I can get and screw onto the SRD hardware that I already have?

No. Different makers will place their hardware differently. They would be unlikely to be interchangeable.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything 'premium' until you stop slicing up strops.
But - then - buffalo and roo are really nice options to consider.

I just replaced my nicked up Tony Miller 3" plain vanilla strop with one from SRD, leather only. The holes on the hardware aligned perfectly.

Top Bottom