What's new

Disappointed with AoS Sandalwood

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
First of all, I didn't really like the smell of it at all.
The lather was okay.
The other thing is, that when I was screwing the lid back on, something snapped inside, and I was quite surprised by that.
I checked what was going on and apparently the big looking impressive jar is actually built from two separate pieces - an internal one - the one that actually holds all the cream, and a bigger jar that it sits in, making it look like there's two times the amount of cream inside.
Quite disappointed with this high-dollar cream.

I've been nothing but disappointed in their offerings, honestly. Either they are selling overpriced items that are rebranded, purely a gimmick (like their battery powered shaving brush, no kidding), or it's simply junk.

I left a review on the Art of Shaving store here in Louisville, and I honestly think that one of the employees replied on Yelp. What makes me think that is that it's the only review the guy ever wrote.

Some people enjoy the Art of Shaving, and some feel they are nothing more than a ripoff, with a few settling somewhere in between. I hope that you get a good resolution on your cream issue. I would simply return it to them, and go from there. I can understand not wanting to possibly make it a bigger issue than it is, though.

Space_Cadet

It does feel like a bit of a rip off...
I took a picture of the jar now and drew lines where the original jar was:

$Untitled.jpg

​While I'm no huge fan of Art of Shaving products (and I agree that most of them are overpriced), I will say the following:

- AoS Sandalwood is considered to be a very "authentic" sandalwood scent. If you don't like the scent, you probably don't like a true sandalwood scent. There are many other scents labeled "sandalwood" that do not resemble sandalwood (essential oil) at all. So, I think that it's hard to fault the AoS cream for actually smelling like it's supposed to smell.

- Almost all soap/cream plastic tubs that I've had appear to be double-walled containers. That yours broke is unfortunate, and it may be worth contacting AoS regarding that. Regarding the perceived size, as I mentioned, many if not most are double-walled and appear larger than what they contain. The AoS ones seem to be taller that many, but also not as wide as many. Anyway, the volume is clearly stated on the container, and it contains the same amount as most other comparable creams (150ml is pretty standard for creams, in my experience). So, if you feel "deceived" by the contents, I recommend that you read the label rather than gauge the amount by the size or shape of the container (which varies greatly from brand to brand).

I do have the AoS Sandalwood cream. In fact, it's the only AoS product that I've purchased. I do think that it performs well, and I enjoy the scent, but I probably wouldn't pay full-price for it (I received a discount when I purchased mine).

Space_Cadet

​
Almost all soap/cream plastic tubs that I've had appear to be double-walled containers.
Regarding the perceived size, as I mentioned, many if not most are double-walled and appear larger than what they contain.

Yeah, the question is to what extent. This one is just is over the line for me. NOT worth 25$, sorry.

p.s

I did not FAULT them for the scent, I just said I didn't much care for it personally, that's all.
Another question is the consistency of the cream. Some creams are 150ml as well but are twice as hard as this one and last twice as long. This cream has almost a balm consistency. This stuff has nothing going to even be close to justifying a price of 25$.

Last edited:
Yeah, the question is to what extent. This one is just is over the line for me. NOT worth 25$, sorry.

I have a puck of AOS sandalwood soap. Pretty good performer but not in my personal top selection. Scent is a matter of preference. I happen to really like the AOS sandalwood scent and have a bottle of the AOS Sandalwood EDT. It's my favourite sandalwood based fragrance. The puck of soap was a gift, but I payed full dollar for the EDT. Worth every penny to me, but that's just an individual opinion.

The double walling of the jars is a way of keeping the product from being affected by heat/cold, I believe. The double walling (and space in between) acts as an insulation, so I'm told.

I think it's fair on your part to bring it back to the AOS store and see how you're treated. If they step up and try to keep you as a customer, kudos to them. If they don't, then I think your criticsim is absolutely warranted.

p.s

I did not FAULT them for the scent, I just said I didn't much care for it personally, that's all.
Another question is the consistency of the cream. Some creams are 150ml as well but are twice as hard as this one and last twice as long. This cream has almost a balm consistency. This stuff has nothing going to even be close to justifying a price of 25$.

They are pricey. No argument there.

View attachment 509579
Whoa. I like the Sandalwood cream, and bought a second in tub in Lemon but have been a bit underwhelmed in the latter's performance. Haven't gotten to the bottom of either tub, but the value of the giant receptacle was partly why I stomached the price. That's pretty gross, but I really like the Sandalwood.

Like Penknight I was in the Louisville store. Shortly before last Christmas my girlfriend marched me into the store with the intention of buying me the large kit as a present. I let her sniff all the samples and she chose sandalwood. She let me choose the brush and mostly to save her some money, I chose the least expensive (pure badger) brush.

With that said, it was a few months before I used any of that. When I did, I found the scent to be lacking. I don't have a problem with the performance, but after buying several other creams, I'd call the cream average. Like others have said, I'd return the tub as defective. If they only offer store credit, trade your $25 toward else. Maybe you'd prefer one of the other fragrances?

It's sold by net weight, just like a bag of chips.

+1. Also, there might be a legitimate reason for having double-walled containers, like protecting the product during shipping or keeping it from overheating. And if you think the AOS containers are ridiculous, you should see the Cyril Salter ones or the Tabula Rasa ones!

As for scent, I've found that sandalwood can vary tremendously. The Cyril Salter smells like gingerbread cookies, the TOBS smells like cloves, and ones like QCS smell very balsamic and resinous, like sitting in a hot wood sauna. From what I've read, sandalwood can be overpowered fairly easily, as its a base note, which is probably why each makers' version of "sandalwood" can be vastly different.

Last edited:
You are not satisfied with both the scent and the container which already malfunctioned. Return it, I'm curious to know how they treat their customers. To me, anyone that charges 12 bucks for a 5 pack of crappy Merkur blades is a never shop there again company.

It does feel like a bit of a rip off...

View attachment 509579

The volume is labelled on the tubs & on the AoS website as 5oz. I'm not sure why the tub design is bothering you so much. I think a bowl within the tub is a cool design (no square corners at the bottom). The volume on the label is the volume of cream. I can understand if you're not a fan of the scent or product, but I don't get why you feel ripped off.

When someone suggested that you return it and have them send a new one, you replied "Nah. I don't want to start all that." Instead you're starting a thread on a forum about it, when this could be quite possibly easily resolved and your customer satisfaction could be restored. I've been unsatisfied with products before too. It sucks. But good customer service based companies should take care of you and try to make you happy.

The vendor might like to know the feedback on quality of the products they sell. If you don't let them know, they don't know there is a problem!

Last edited:

Space_Cadet

I am not CONUS, and don't want to pay postage. I also don't want to start a whole ordeal of exchanging emails back and forth or bothering to get a replacement from them, as I am not interested in any of their products.

This forum I believe is exactly for discussing shaving products and expressing different opinions, which is exactly what I did. Don't know why you are blaming me for that. A bit of a weird approach.

I feel a bit ripped off because the jar broke, the cream will obviously won't last as long as others due to its consistency, the lather isn't on par with the best, so a price of 25$ is not justified at all. It also seems there are other people that feel the same about their products.

Last edited:
Top Bottom