What's new

Lutz Happened

I bought one of these a few months back but hadn't used it because I was afraid it would be to harsh. I finally tried it today and had a fantastic shave! 2 pass BBS. Very smooth and efficient. Great razor!

They are silly smooth. Most slants are to be honest provided you find the right blade, but the solingen head is particularly smooth.

I don't think I've heard of this razor until now. Will have to keep an eye out. It's quite a looker. Thanks for sharing, barbapapa.

Hi,

The differential Solingen made Slant head was sold under just about all of the brand names used by the razor companies in Solingen. So, you can easily find these by broadening your search. :)

Stan

There's a guy on ebay that must have found a trunkful of these. Seems like he sells 2-3 a month at auction, NOS. Prices vary from maybe 60 to over a hundred depending who's bidding.

The Lutz is a design from the 1930s. In my opinion it is the best slant head ever made. As Stan says, you can find it in a lot of razors in addition to the Lutz. Many straight razor companies offered a full range of razors and most seemed to adopt the "generic Solingen head" as it is called. Lutz was no different.

The Lutz slant is one of my favorite razors. It's light but very smooth and efficient. It is also very forgiving. Another really nice feature is the ability to change sides. In my case I use the more aggressive smaller combed side primarily and the bigger/wider (milder) combed side for the more delicate or sensitive areas of the face.

It appears that the aggressive side can be changed by rotating the top cap 180. In other words you can make the large comb side the mild side and small side aggressive or visa versa. I like mine set up so the small comb is the mild side and the large comb is the aggressive side. Makes more sense to me. big comb big gap, small comb small gap.

Top Bottom