What's new

A Favorite Nib For All Occasions

There are different times we reach for different pens, I thought we could share some of the nibs we love the most for different occasions. Of course I swap all my pens around for all times just to keep things interesting, but there are some regulars that show up in different tasks more then others

For Work
I prefer harder no nonsense good writing nibs, quick to write without much focus needed, they get the job done for me.
$2014-10-18 22.13.27.jpg
Pilot 92 MF | TWSBI Vac700 F | Parker 61 F | Parker 51 M | Visconti Rembrandt F (I also have a M)

For Letters
I need to make a statement, show off some ink colour, and make sure my handwriting looks its best. Italics allow me to write fast so I dont get burned out with a three page letter, but are also great at being something a little extra special on the page.
$2014-10-18 22.11.52.jpg
Visconti Homo Sapiens 1.3mm Stub | Franklin Christoph 03 Masuyama Cursive Italic | Visconti Stub

For Fun
just because I get a kick out of them, when I just want to write, for no other reason but my own entertainment these are two pens I go to the most as nothing else I won is quite as thrilling.
$2014-10-18 22.14.28.jpg
Pilot 912 FA | Pilot 6.0mm Parallel

The X Factor
These guys show up in so many tasks that they kind of follow into all categories because of how I use them. the Justus allows me to flip between different line types, which works for me at work sometimes as some notations need that super think line it can produce, while letting me flip to a MF line to jot notes down, its not needed, but it works for me when I take it, its also fun to play around with and a fantastic nib and feed make for an amazing writing experience that is hard to beat. The Visconti makes a statement with its super wet lines on the 1.3mm stub, on a bday or xmas card it is tough for me to even consider anything else anymore as the lines this makes you can see from a mile away.
$2014-10-18 22.15.22.jpg
Visconti Homo Sapiens 1.3mm | Pilot Justus 95 F

Cool idea. I wish I had the problem of having so many that I would need to categorize, but I'm just starting out. All I have is (I believe) two medium nibs, but I'm finding that I like a finer nib. Time will tell.

like shaving you will learn you have tastes, then as you gain more experience and just to mess with your budget, your tastes will change

probably two or three times lol

I'm sure your right. I was in a paradise pens store yesterday and had my hands on a lot of pens. I a a "finger on top" writer and so I doubt that I could get along with a pilot VP, but I'm kinda hung up on them right now. Something about how utilitarian they are is super sexy to me. Then again, I do like the slightly more flashy pens too.......I have a looooooong way to go.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nib sizes are one of the reasons I usually carry two pens. I dislike having to fill out some little boxes of info and being stuck with a semi-flex double broad oblique signature nib. Or lousy cheap paper ... then I flip out a little Sheaffer fine point or a Vacumatic.

Settling down to write a letter I only occasionally use anything special, like an italic. Most of my nibs are all-purpose, about medium these days ... I go through cycles from fine to medium to broad+ and then a return journey. I don't think I'm alone doing that cyclical preference thing.

I see a pattern here: when shaving, I reach for my Schick Krona 90% of the days. And when I am in the office, my Parker Sonnet is with me 90% of the times.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
As a work pen I like a Parker 51 with a medium nib. I have an Edison with a 1.5 stub that is lots of fun, but if I ignore it foe a couple of weeks it's a hard starter.

My favorite all around performer is a Pelikan 600 with a medium nib turned into a stub by Mike Msuyama.

My favorite nibs are both stubs. In alphabetical order...

.8mm stub made by Pendleton Brown - on a Lamy 2000

1.1mm stub made by Michael Masuyama - on an FC / Piper Black Ice (This was a pre-production pen. When I bought it the pen hadn't been named.)

Top Bottom