What's new

Knot removal - To Steam or Knot Steam?

I have an old knot in a handle that is bakelite I believe. How does one steam out the old knot? I tried searching the forum but I can't seem to find the answer. Thanks:thumbup:

A drill press is nice to have, but by no means essential. Do you have a Dremel? Check out the Brush Making and Restoration subforum for plenty of tips. Whatever you do, though, please don't steam your handle. Good luck with your restoration.

A drill press is nice to have, but by no means essential. Do you have a Dremel? Check out the Brush Making and Restoration subforum for plenty of tips. Whatever you do, though, please don't steam your handle. Good luck with your restoration.

OK I'll skip the steam. No I don't have a dremel. Im going to have to see if any of my friends do.

The knot can be removed using a handheld drill with a small bit. Patience is key. A vise or some other means of securing the handle is extremely helpful. Protect the handle with a generous wrapping of tape.

OK I'll skip the steam. No I don't have a dremel. Im going to have to see if any of my friends do.
Be very careful with the Dremel. It has a healthy appetite, and can easily eat more of your handle than you expect. If you've never used one, I'd say don't.

Hand held drill or drill press are good if your careful. Wear safety glasses. As others have stated, don't steam.

Oh, and you're morally obligated to post pictures of the final restoration. Before pictures would be nice too.

I like the fool proof - but elbow grease intensive- approach.

Cut the bristles off with scissors close to the handle, grab a small bunch of them with needle nose pliers as far down as you can reach, pull and wiggle until they tear loose. Repeat until the bristles are gone, then clean up the hole by hand with sand paper.

If you can't get any bristles out, then drill bit will get some seperation started between the glue and handle. You can do the same thing with the corkscrew on a Swiss Army knife. It makes a T-shape with the knife handle, so you get lots of torque and something to pull hard against.

If that doesn't work, you could add boiling water to the inside of the knot cup with a kids medicine dropper to loosen up the glue. It will discolor the Bakelite - but only inside the knot cup which won't be seen when you glue in the replacement knot.

There is some risk the thin lip of the cup could discolor all the way through, so keep the water level low.

If you do decide to go the Dremel route I would find some junk to practice on. There are all sorts of bits so you could get one that best suits your needs. Also learn how it behaves within a circle. It's a great tool but mastery of it takes longer than most power tools. I think time is on your side.

Why not steam Bakelite? It was used for heat shielding in it's heyday and cannot be melted under any circumstances. It was a popular medium to use for ashtrays too.

The next butterscotch I reknot I'm going to put in my pressure cooker and document hoping to dispel this notion.

Some of them were hollow and then filled with something else. When heated, that something else distorts and bulges the handle. I had one that was absolutely useless after steaming.

I can't speak for a solid one.

A drill press and/or Dremel is desired, but not necessary. I use a hand held drill and a Dremel. With the drill, I start with small bits and then go progressively larger. Don't try to drill out entire knot at once. Also, watch your pressure, it is easy to punch through the knot shelf and drill into the handle or base.

Top Bottom