What's new

Newbie looking for hone and restoration help

Hi All,
I purchased my first double edged safety razor this year and have really enjoyed the art of a proper wet shave. I have been keeping an eye out for a straight razor and my Dad surprised me with 2 for my birthday.

My Dad likes to browse the Antique stores for old clocks and come to find out he has been looking for straight razors too.

He picked me up a Carbo Magnetic Griffon XX and an American Razor. I really know nothing about them but their blades look in decent shape and I think all they need is a clean and a hone. I have no idea where to start. Can anybody recommend a good place I can send them. I'd like to get them looking like new if possible. I'm in Tucson, AZ if there is a local place but shipping is not a problem.

$IMG_4189.jpg
$IMG_4190.jpg

Thanks
-Mark

Hi Mark! Welcome to B&B. Sorry I missed seeing this post earlier.

From the pics, those do look to be in really decent shape and easy to restore. To make them functional, they most likely only need a fresh edge, not even a full out polish and what not. Either way, there are several members here that do honing and restore services, all of them are top notch. You can peruse their posts of what services they have here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/143-Hobbyist-Vendor-Classifieds

You can also look into learning to do the job yourself in the Restoration forum:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/95-Restoration-amp-Razor-Making-How-To-s

This is the largest cutlery store in Western USA and they have an excellent razor honing service. I think they sold the knife that OJ Simpson was accused of using to murder his ex-wife. That should be good enough for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Send it to Bayamontate, Brooksie, Doc or one of the other excellent Honmeisters that are members of this forum. You will receive a superior result.

Thanks everyone. I there are so many friendly and skilled Honmeisters on this forum I had a hard time choosing one. I ended up sending them both off to Doc226.

Those are very cool razors. Your dad is very thoughtful. They should clean up and hone up very nicely.

Thanks everyone. I there are so many friendly and skilled Honmeisters on this forum I had a hard time choosing one. I ended up sending them both off to Doc226.

I had Doc do both my family heirloom straight razor restores. I was completely awestruck at the workmanship when I got them back. :)

Top Bottom