What's new

Gillette NEW Disassembly/Reassembly w/ before and after photos

Lately there have been quite a few threads on disassembling various razors. Our very our Captain Murphy has started threads on the Fatboy, the Slim and Open Comb TTO. These threads have been very educational. Yet I am surprised that one of the most beloved razors has been neglected, The NEW.
With so many of our fine members owning a NEW and others seeking them out, I thought this kind of thread was overdue. My first thought was to contact Capt about this. I was even willing to send him one of my NEWs that he could use but I know he is busy and in the spirit of B&B I have decided to take things into my own hands.
So with no further ado:

Here is the razor after soaking overnight in hot soapy water:
$images (1).jpg
I then proceeded to grab the head by the ends (I would suggest not getting use to grabbing the head by the long edges as there may be a blade and you may cut yourself). Take the handle in your other hand and twist the handle in a counter clockwise direction. You may be able to hold the handle still and rotate the head clockwise. While I haven't done this myself I see no reason this wouldn't work. (If a member here can verify this it would be most helpful)
At this point the razor should be fully disassembled and look like this:
$1930 GILLETTE TECH BALL END SAFETY RAZOR, NEW STYLE (3).jpg

If you are following along then Congratulations you have successfully completed the disassembling of the NEW!

To assemble you need to decided if you wish to insert the blade. This is important as the blade can not be inserted after assembly. If the blade is to be inserted then place the blade on the baseplate and then place the cap over and onto the baseplate. (Just a note: the post from the cap should be through the hole in the baseplate.
Here is a picture of the head. Please note the correct order from top to bottom is cap---blade----baseplate:
$IMG_1311.JPG
Lastly insert the threads of the cap into the top of the handle and rotate/twist the handle in a clockwise direction until it is snug against the bottom of the cap. (If you ask: "Can I rotated the head instead?" Please see my comments above)

Your razor should now look like this:
$images (1).jpg

I hope this was useful.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. I am just a user and this thread is just my experience. Proceed at your own risk and you must assume all responsibility of harm to your self or your razor.

I then proceeded to grab the head by the ends (I would suggest not getting use to grabbing the head by the long edges as there may be a blade and you may cut yourself).

This explains a lot!!! This will save me boxes and boxes of band-aids. Thanks for the tip!

What did you use to hold the "handle part" while you removed the "base plate" from the "top thingy?" Do you think it's safe to just rest it on the table?

Also, I have a Gillette Tech that I'm considering disassembling. Do you think I would be able to adapt your tutorial to use on that, or are they too different?

I have a question though ... why do you use a picture of an Old Type to shows us how a NEW looks like with a blade installed? :tongue_sm:lol:
I was using the photo as reference only. This part of the process seems to be similar between all of Gillette's three and Two part razors. I'm assuming that it was a design that worked well so they stayed with it.

Now... could I please ask you to type down slower!... I cannot read that fast...
It gets too much complicated for me :blink:

Also, I have a Gillette Tech that I'm considering disassembling. Do you think I would be able to adapt your tutorial to use on that, or are they too different?
Chamm, I'm only a simple user and not an expert by any means. At first glance it seems that they share a common design setup but I would proceed with caution.

I was using the photo as reference only. This part of the process seems to be similar between all of Gillette's three and Two part razors. I'm assuming that it was a design that worked well so they stayed with it.

You see, Craig ... if your Tech is a 2 or 3 piece razor (ie not a TTO Tech) it should work.

Well, I'm not sure... Right now it's one piece. I've never tried taking it apart yet, so I don't know how many pieces it splits into.

I'm not sure either, but I recall reading somewhere that one-piece razors are usually TTOs.

He said this works only with 2 and 3 piece razors ... I would just leave it as is.

You may try soaking it overnight.

Hold on... I haven't made it through the whole thread yet, and this may have already been answered, but what do I soak it in? I think I have some orange juice, and maybe some nail polish remover. Would those work?

From the original post.

Not sure about orange juice but I heard full fat ​plain Greek yogurt would help with any yeast or bacterial issues. YMMV

Ah... Sorry I hadn't read that far.

So... what brand of water should I use? Also, should I warm it up in the microwave, or on the stove?

This is all so confusing.

Top Bottom