What's new

My salsa bowl project

Great idea with the soldering gun. I've been looking for ages to get one of those bowls, but at a non-ridiculous price on the right ([emoji1]) side of the Atlantic. They look to be perfect for the job, and that's the only colour I've seen that I like. Maybe some member and I could do a little deal, help a buddy out with one?.

Thanks. You should post a WTT or ask another member for one on the board. I had a member state side that was going to send me one PIF since I couldn't find one. The day I got the message my wife came home with one. Shipping outside of CONUS may be a little expensive.

Nice! I have never seen that salsa bowl at Wally's World. Will keep my eyes peeled next time. Seems like a wood burning tool may work too? It looks like it leaves no sharp edges too. I was thinking of something similar but cuts with a razor instead but am sure sharp plastic cuts aren't great for the brushes.

Where I've noticed them in these parts if anyone is looking up here is, Dollar Tree, Dollarama, Giant Tiger and Stedman's.
I've made some good lather so far with it, but I prefer an old wooden salad bowl I use that has a rough finish.

Interesting. I've been shaving with a salsa bowl since I started DE shaving last year. I live in TX, so you can get them everywhere. I got mine at the grocery store (HEB) for 99 cents.

I have been considering trying to gouge some ridges in it, but your method seems a little easier.

Does it lather noticeably better than before you textured it?

Why not try using a small drill bit using light force to make the impressions or a nail with a slight tap of a hammer.

Interesting. I've been shaving with a salsa bowl since I started DE shaving last year. I live in TX, so you can get them everywhere. I got mine at the grocery store (HEB) for 99 cents.

I have been considering trying to gouge some ridges in it, but your method seems a little easier.

Does it lather noticeably better than before you textured it?

The bowl lathers much better now that I have the design in it. There are little raised spots on every dot, but I am unsure how it will affect brush life. My boar brush may only outlast me by 20 years in instead of 30.

Last edited:
Why not try using a small drill bit using light force to make the impressions or a nail with a slight tap of a hammer.

I could have used a drill bit. A nail wont dig in like a hot iron. But, I have a great deal of control with the soldering iron by feeling what I am doing. A drill bit would be too easy for me to have an oops. I got the idea to use a soldering iron from another member. I do not remember the member's name, but it was not my idea.

Top Bottom