What's new

"Put it in a mason jar and come back to it..."

We've all heard it before. There's a blend that isn't clicking, we're not that fond of it but the garbage man doesn't deserve it yet :)

Sage advice is to put it in a jar and revisit down the road. Our flavor perceptions and preferences can change drastically. A blend that wasn't our cup of tea becomes our flavor of the month.

I'll go ahead and say that I wasn't that fond of Three Oaks Syrian at first. Don't know if it was the "hype" (Lookin at you @Robster ;) ) or if I wasn't used to Syrian latakia. Just couldn't wrap my head around this tobacco.

That was over 4 months ago. After some time out in a glass cell, I finally took him out for combustion exercises. I've changed my mind on this blend and really enjoy it now.

Much different than Cyprian latakia, of which I am still very fond. It's mellower and has a subtle sweetness to it. I also find that it burns very slow which makes it even more enjoyable to sip and relax.

So what blends have you revisited and encountered a newfound enjoyment? Interested to see if we have any commonalities...

I'm not a pipe smoker, but that's an interesting thought that should carry over to cigars as well.

Cheers

Didn't like FVF when I first tried it shortly after I picked up the pipe. After a year in a jar it was fantastic. Don't know it was just having some age on the tobacco, improved technique, or a combination of the two.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I didn't care for the 3OS on my first bowl, but then I had smoked Lancer's Slices previous to that it has a pretty decent hit of the Cyprian Latakia. I went back to 3OS after a few days of no pipe and picked up the same impression you had about the Syrian- that subtle sweetness is fantastic.

Not that I didn't like it the first time, but after I let my Early Morning Pipe mellow in a jar for about 9 months I couldn't believe how good it was.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As of yet, I have not done a complete about face on any tobacco blend, but many have improved to varying degrees with several months to a year or so of age. EMP is certainly one of them. I too was a little underwhelmed by 3OS, didn't dislike it in any way, just wasn't wowed by it. It may be time to open it's Mason jar again.

To be honest I didn't like much any of the Virginia blends when I started. To much like cigarettes I thought at the time. In particular I had a tin each of G.L. Pease Cumberland and Solani Silver Flake and I thought they were both, to be blunt, rubbish.

Fast forward a year and oh my this Virginia stuff is to die for and in particular the SSF is sublime. So there ya go!

Re: 3OS, I should have bought shares before raving. She's a fine blend though. Love it to bits. I know I harp on about it but do try it after a surf/swim in the ocean. It comes alive.

Top Bottom