What's new

open tooth comb vs. straight cut

I read somewhere that an open tooth comb razor is best for those with a heavy beard and a straight cut razor is best for those with a 'normal' beard. Can anyone explain this a bit more? I use a Merkur HD but I do have a heavy beard and the HD is straight cut razor (no teeth).

I would suggest that this all depends on the razor you want. A Gillette NEW is open comb, yet it shaves very smoothly for normal beards too. I use one for my everyday shaves, and I do not really have a heavy beard at all. However, I have heard that the open comb Merkur razors are quite aggressive.

I would suggest that this all depends on the razor you want. A Gillette NEW is open comb, yet it shaves very smoothly for normal beards too.

Agreed here. I find that of all the Gillette open comb razors I've tried (Big Fellow, Bostonian, Tuckaway, NEW, and pre-war Aristocrat) the NEW is the most forgiving of the bunch. They all give incredibly close shaves, but I have to really watch my technique with the Bostonian, and the Tuckaway especially! The Tuckaway is a mean little razor if you're careless, but a gem if you're careful.

I keep going back to a '40s USA Aristocrat as my favorite daily shaver (not an open comb), with the NEW and Big Fellow tied for second. Either the NEW or Big Fellow can get a closer shave than the Aristocrat stroke for stroke, but I have to be on my game a little more.

If I were going to recommend an open-comb to anybody, it would be the NEW. Big Fellows are just plain cool, but terribly expensive because of their relative rarity, especially boxed. For pure price/performance, a fat-handled gold NEW is probably the best Gillette there is. Mine cost $5, almost unreal for how good it really is, and how available it is. Millions were made.

I would have to agree as well. The Gillette New is a fantastic open comb razor for every day shaving. I think the New Improved series including the Bostonian are a little more agressie but still offer a close comfortable shave but as mentioned, you need to watch yourself a little closer...no pressure...

I also shave with a Senator which is an open combed TTO, it's the best of both worlds....

Agreed here. I find that of all the Gillette open comb razors I've tried (Big Fellow, Bostonian, Tuckaway, NEW, and pre-war Aristocrat) the NEW is the most forgiving of the bunch. They all give incredibly close shaves, but I have to really watch my technique with the Bostonian, and the Tuckaway especially! The Tuckaway is a mean little razor if you're careless, but a gem if you're careful.

I keep going back to a '40s USA Aristocrat as my favorite daily shaver (not an open comb), with the NEW and Big Fellow tied for second. Either the NEW or Big Fellow can get a closer shave than the Aristocrat stroke for stroke, but I have to be on my game a little more.

If I were going to recommend an open-comb to anybody, it would be the NEW. Big Fellows are just plain cool, but terribly expensive because of their relative rarity, especially boxed. For pure price/performance, a fat-handled gold NEW is probably the best Gillette there is. Mine cost $5, almost unreal for how good it really is, and how available it is. Millions were made.
Nice summary on Gillette open combs :thumbup1:

To answer your question, the open comb teeth will ride on the skin whereas the solid bar will ride on the beard.

To answer your question, the open comb teeth will ride on the skin whereas the solid bar will ride on the beard.
This is this most succinct and useful post I've read in a long while.

I have a "Gentleman Otto" open-comb razor with a handle the diameter of a pencil (or maybe even slightly smaller). I got one of the best shaves I've had in weeks with it today, using Musgo Real and a Derby. Very smooth and close, and I've had issues with it in the past. Looks likes it's time to try some more open combs.

I just got back from Florida where I was using my Merkur travel razor with an open comb exclusively for about a month. I was getting great shaves! However, when I got back home I went back to my Slant with a safety bar. What a difference! An even closer shave and far more comfortable! The travel razor will be relagated to what it was designed for. I'll use it for no more than a few weeks at a time and that's it. Give me my Slant anyday!

FWIW I also can't get a fabulous shave with an open comb razor, but my Slant, or Fatboy dialed pretty wide open shave unbelievably close. Open combs are just not my dish.

Top Bottom