What's new

Need advice about new brush

Hello to all. I would like to get a new brush and need advice.

I've been brushing with the same brush for 17 years, a Kent of some kind of Badger that I bought in 1997 for $110. It always worked very well and still looks like it was bought yesterday. But I'm moving from creams to soaps and would like to have a new brush to dedicate to them. I would like to select a brush with the same quality of the Kent, but perhaps a little bit more suited to soap lathering. Do you have tips and advice to help with this task?

Thanks

Last edited:
A Simpson Duke 3 or Chubby 2 in Best would be a big departure from the Kent, short lofted and dense with the scrubby feel I find the Kents lack.

Hello to all. I would like to get a new brush and need advice.

I've been brushing with the same brush for 17 years, a Kent of some kind of Badger that I bought in 1997 for $110. It always worked very well and still looks like it was bought yesterday. But I'm moving from creams to soaps and would like to have a new brush to dedicate to them. I would like to select a brush with the same quality of the Kent, but perhaps a little bit more suited to soap lathering. Do you have tips and advice to help with this task?

Thanks

Do you face or bowl lather?

My favorite brush for creams is also a Kent (BK8)

For soaps I like my Duke 2 or my little Mhule 19mm synth.

I bowl lather creams and face lather soaps.

If it was Kent silvertip, I'd go for a Thäter in bulb. Probably the 4125/1 in two- or three-band... or probably both! If all I knew or loved was a Kent BK8, for example, I mightn't like a dense, scrubby brush. In fact, I don't.

SOC boar is great for soaps. A little stiffer for loading, yet when broken in, nice and soft on the face.

If it was Kent silvertip, I'd go for a Thäter in bulb. Probably the 4125/1 in two- or three-band... or probably both! If all I knew or loved was a Kent BK8, for example, I mightn't like a dense, scrubby brush. In fact, I don't.
I had to do some research to understand this reply :/ Actually, I've learned a lot already just by researching the brushes recommended so far. What you are suggesting is that some brushes may feel too stiff for someone who is used to the softness of the Kent. But can't a brush have some backbone and still feel soft?

Given you enjoy the Kent, I also think a Thater would be a great choice.

That said, if I were in your position, I would get a Savile Row Silvertip. They are not overly dense but have very good backbone. They offer wonderful lather flow and will lather anything you throw at them.

Once again, B&B came to the rescue. Thanks to all that replied. After some research on all your suggestions, my heart was set on the Saville Row Silvertip 3326. Thank you shaverjoe for setting me on the trail of SR, a brand I didn't even know existed.

I have a Saville Row and love it. I don't understand why they don't get much press around here anymore. They used to. At any rate, you will love that brush, and it should serve you well.

Top Bottom