What's new

Make Your Own Pipe Filter

Using a block of balsa and an Xacto knife I made some Savenilli style pipe filters. They work well reducing tongue bite, providing cooler smoke yet not reducing draw too much. They're great for anyone that smokes fast or wet.

After first use portion of the filter was nearly charred from heat, had slightly expanded and changed colors. It's too early for me to claim the blast filter improves taste. More testing is needed :)

The filter should have grooves on the side as to not restrict draw. Copying Savenilli design is helpful.
Length of each filter is 40 mm.

Added photos of 6 mm and 9 mm filters.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413580252.927808.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413601517.996755.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413601534.022837.jpg

Last edited:
I cut the smaller 6 mm filters in triangles and the the 9 mm round or roundish.
While cutting them in squares is easier and less time consuming I try to copy the Savenelli filters.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While I have a 100 count pack of balsa wood filters, I have been experimenting with something I read on a pipe forum, where you take a pipe filter cut in a 2 inch length and folded. It acts almost like a spring loaded filter, holding it in place.

I can't really tell any major differences between other type filters, except for it's clearly only good for one smoke before needing replaced.
I use a balsa wood for 3 smokes before tossing, which is more economical I think. Where is balsa wood sold?

I'm keen to try this. Am thinking a flat sheet of just the right thickness, lay a straight edge over it and slice some very long pieces at a time then cut to length. I love a new project. Great idea!

Most hobbie stores carry balsa its usually used in the construction of R/C airplanes.
sticks
triangles
sheets
blocks

When I was using the filters in mine, I found some square strips in a hobby shop that only needed cut to length. Not as crafty that way, but they worked. :thumbup1:

I have an unfiltered MM Huck Finn whose stem inside diameter is too small for a filter, but cutting a Savinelli filter in half and trimming its thickness made it perfect.

Top Bottom