What's new

SE vs. DE?

I acquired several SE's (1912, G-Bar, Clog-Pruf, MMOC) over the years because I bought some small batches of vintage razors, but never considered using them until about three months ago when I bought some carbon steel SE blades and tried them out. Since then, the G-Bar has become my favorite razor - not only do I get an irritation-free shave, but it is more efficient at shaving my problem areas than any of my DE razors. I still use the DE's too, but now I use the SE's about 60% of the time.

I think the single edge razors can do a fine job, and many are works or art. But, the Gillette Fat Boy seems to out perform the singles, as well as injectors. Therefore the DE gets more attention. I do break out a SE now and then. Mainly the Wilkinson Sword Empire Razor.

I try to vary between SE and DE. But lately almost to 80% is SE. I have so many wounds and I think more enjoyable.

I have both DE and SE razors and I can honestly say I don't think I have a favorite yet, I do have a tendency to gravitate towards my Gem 1912 but also really like my F3 Fatboy and now I have a straight coming so who knows.

I like the simplicity of my GEMs; one basic razor blade, so it depends on which GEM I choose that will determine how close the shave is I get. If my face is a little tender from a previous day's shave, I will use a Bullet Tip. If I've gone a weekend without shaving (yeah I know, right?!) I will use my Micromatic Open Comb. For normal day-to-day shaving I use a Micromatic Clog-pruf or GEM Junior. I tend to go through a DE phase every couple of months, but I normally stick to my GEMs and straight razors.

I thoroughly enjoy switching back and forth as the mood strikes me. That's one of the fun things about having a nice selection of razors. The enjoyment of experiencing so many combinations of blades, razors, soaps etc. Keeps it interesting all the time.

I'm pretty evenly split between DE and SE right now with most of my SE shaves using Injectors. I'm just finishing up my first year of DE shaving and have been using SE for about 3 or 4 months now so I'm still getting my technique down on both as far as I'm concerned.

I use SE, DE & Injectors and if I have time more than one for a shave.
Today is a good example. I used a SE Streamline for the first pass and a Gillette Toggle for the second pass.
This my seem crazy for some but I have a very, very tough beard and I just chew up DE blades.
I can usually only get one good pass from a DE blade, second pass iffy or no-go depending on make of blade.
A good single pass with a SE will knock down a lot of growth and I usually get 3 good passes with a SE.
Then I switch to a DE and usually get two good passes with that blade.
Of course I have 100+ razors in my stash and I like to use them all during the course of a year so doubling up cuts down on time to next in rotation...

mswofford

Rest in Peace
After a drastic den reduction, I still have carefully selected razors in all catagories; DE, SE and SE injectors. I have more injectors than the others; My most often used is a Schick I2 Hydro-Magic for which I have a duplicate.

I know I'm probably an aberrant data point (after all, I do use Williams Mug Soap...), but I am 100% injector.

I started off with DE's the first of August then went to SE's around October now believe it or not am doing straight's

Mostly SE - I have quite a varied collection, something like 25 1912s, a good handful of 1914s & 1924s, more Featherweights, Pushbuttons, Heavy Flat Tops & Contours, then the Valets, the lather catchers and the various blade holder frames, like my Le Grelot, Wilkinson Sword, that kind of thing.

I don't mind a DE shave, but I pretty much sold them all off recently save a strong collection of Techs and a decent collection of Superspeeds & Rockets, more for the purposes of collection than to shave with. For shaving, I have a Gillette Black Beauty, a British de-mob razor from 1945, a Personna, a Muhle R41, a Gillette Old, couple of New style (Grom and 7 O'Clock), a Gillette New Standard and an unknown bakelite which is very aggressive.

Perhaps 1 in 4 is a DE shave.

I usual use DE slants weekdays for speed because they're close and quick, SE's on the weekend when I have the time. I get a little closer shave with the SE's but they take more time to use. Weird how I'm usually my best groomed on the weekends. I'll probably eventually reserve Sunday's for straights when I get there.

Top Bottom