What's new

Alden Men's Shoes - Dollars ?

Help please.

I always thought Allen Edmonds shoes were the cream of the crop. A recent post has made me aware that my thinking may be skewed. I'm not sure I will ever be happy without, someday, trying a pair of Alden's.

I have searched and cannot find any seller below $500 - $600 a pair. Is there anyplace to find these shoes at a discounted price? Are there any Alden seconds?

Thanks, Ron I

I always thought Allen Edmonds shoes were the cream of the crop. A recent post has made me aware that my thinking may be skewed. I'm not sure I will ever be happy without, someday, trying a pair of Alden's.

Hi Ron - as with anything, there is always a "better" brand out there. I have a few pairs of AEs and a few pairs of Aldens and find them...different. I can't make an exact comparison because I don't own the same type of shoe in each but I do find the Aldens to have a better finish and find them to be more "balanced" in walking. Alden uses a steel shank in the sole for support, whereas AE uses a 360 degree welt which they say negates the need for the shank. I don't know if its worth the price difference, but there is a difference.

I have searched and cannot find any seller below $500 - $600 a pair. Is there anyplace to find these shoes at a discounted price? Are there any Alden seconds?

As far as I know, other than here on the Shoe Mart site, there is no site that sells Alden seconds (or irregulars). Like BSAGuy says, you're most likely option would be eBay. Even then you're talking about $200-$250, on average. I've purchased my pairs of Aldens through eBay.

Hi Ron - as with anything, there is always a "better" brand out there.

Very true. Don't think that you have to go specifically for Aldens also. There are plenty of other British/European shoe manufacturers that make great quality stuff. Then you also have, like suits, bespoke footwear.

It's all about weighing the value versus the cost to you. There really is no such thing as an objective "cream of the crop" for any item. Personally, even though Aldens are "better" constructed, I really don't have a strong desire to aquire any of their dress shoes. The styles and lasts are just very conservative and clunky. The exception to this, at least for me, would be their burgundy cordovan chukkas. But $700 is a lot to drop for chukka boots, heh.

IMO, if you're going to buy shoes like Alden or AE, you're better off buying them from a retailer who knows what they're doing and can fit you properly into shoes that are correct for your feet. For example, AE has different lasts (discussed previously). A retailer will be able to fit you into the last that's best for you. I imagine Alden is the same.

In the long run, you'll spend less money by purchasing a correctly fitting shoe from an experienced retailer than you will by buying-and-trying used or discounted closeouts that may or may not fit properly.

Once you've purchased a pair of Alden shoes that fit correctly, then you can shop for deals on Alden shoes made on the same last.

Just my two cents...

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

First of all - congrats, you're in for a treat. My favorite part about Alden Shoes, is that they're nice when you first get them, but as weeks/months go by they get better and better. They reach their peak with about one years work of wear on them, and then provided regular care and the occasional resole, they'll soldier on for at least a decade or two delivering that heightened "molded to your foot experience" with the patina only getting better with age.

RE: your $500-600 comment. What model(s) are you specifically looking for? If you're looking for something in Shell Cordovan, then you're going to need to come to grips with the fact that you're unlikely to ever find a new pair of Cordovan Alden's in/below that range. If you're looking for full grain leather Alden's, and the specific model isn't of material importance you'll have no problem finding Alden's under $500. Some models of Alden's MSRP below that threshold - for example these dark brown Kudu Chukka's with a rubber sole. If you're looking for more options, or options on sale - you're going to have to call up some Alden shops - I recommend calling Alden NY (independent) and Alden SF (owned by Alden) as both have ALWAYS had shoes/styles on sale/clearance when i've visited them. I'd give them a ring, ask what they have in your size on sale/clearance - and you should get a few more options.... sometimes there's even a downright deal.

Now tvad makes a really good point about trying Alden's on. Alden lasts/sizing acts as a double edged sword. While they offer a wide array of lasts, they fit A LOT different, so while a 12D in a Barrie last might be lovely, a 12E in Aberdeen last will still likely be too wide. I live only 20 miles from Alden SF, and I travel for business often - so I have the opportunity to drop into other Alden stores around the country - to date, i've never order a pair of Alden's I haven't first seen/tried on in person AND even then, I made a mistake. I bought a pair of Alden Monkstraps in 12 E on the aberdeen last - and while they felt ok in the store, if I wear them all day or for extensive walking - I really feel it in my feet. That said, it's the only pair of Alden's I own that i'm not wildly in love with and i'm sure they could be stretched to give me a little more room and work around this issue. The moral of the story - you either want to try them on in person, or order from an Alden retailer that is gracious with returns - and follow the wearing instructions to a "T" (IE: don't walk around in them, even indoors if it's not a good fit when you stand in them. Walking indoors will still crease the leather uppers specific to your foot/step and likely void your ability to return them). Frankly, this is the reason Alden's aren't more prolific - it's really inconvenient to find the size AND last that best fits your foot. The flip side however, is due to the array of lasts - you can find a shoe/boot that fits your foot beautifully, almost as if it were bespoke to your foot. That, coupled with superb materials and generally superior craftsmanship make them awfully special.

$Red%u00252BClay%2BSoul%2BAlden%2BSizing%2BLast%2BChart.jpg

Shoemart has a good selection at about the best prices I've seen on regular stock. Also note that Alden's sizing is more like UK than US so getting the right size takes some effort.

I disagree with your sizing statement as I wear a different size in Crockett & Jones. I have also found that Alden & A&E sizing are the same as I have used both for 40 some years.

Sym's used to sell Alden shoes in the 80's and 90's for $99. The selection was not great but couldn't beat the deal.

Top Bottom