What's new

Chosera or Shapton for bevels?

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my narrow king 1000/6000 combo for either the Chosera 1k or the Shapton 1k. I use king stone for setting bevels but I find it cuts rather slow and its narrowness is a bit awkward. I finish the progression on lapping film but I find setting bevels on the 30/12 um lacks in mojo somehow.

Which stone would you recommend? I read everywhere the rage seems to be about the Chosera, but the Shapton could also be used as a lapping base for film and it also do not need to be lapped if I'm not mistaken?

Best Regards

I use a Shapton Glass 2k, but will be ordering a 1k. The SG cuts super fast.

I had a Chosera and was pleased with it. I had to give it up as part of a trade. I found no fault in it It was fast, smooth and easy to work with.

The only reason I am not replacing it is because I have a full set of SG's and decided to stay with one system.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Shapton for me but 2k. Shapton and Naniwa use different grit scales, so a Shapton 2k is close to a Naniwa 1k. I think the Shapton cuts faster.

Cheers, Steve

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Shapton Glass stones need to be lapped just like every other non-diamond plate stone. They're just hard enough not to need to be lapped as often.

Last edited:
Yep, very dependent on usage also. I.e. if you're sharpening knives with medium to heavy pressure (bevel setting, etc.) the stone(s) will definitely need lapping before trying to hone a razor. I can usually leave the finer grit stones go for a while between lappings though when honing razors, and as long as you're using light pressure they stay pretty flat.

Last edited:
I only use a 500 SG once, so will not comment on it except to day it cut fast. Chosera does a fine job also andd Ive been using them for a while now. Seems to me you cant go wrong either way.

The Shapton Pro 1.5 K is close enough to the Chosera 1k that it's hard to tell the difference in use. The SP does seem to be a teensy bit more coarse and about as fast though.
I see the two being interchangeable without concern.
I used both side by side for a good while, I could live with either one as my bevel setter.

Another fan of the Shapton Pro 1.5K here. I was considering the Glass stones but I like to be able to flip it over and hack away at knives whislt keeping one face relatively flat.

Not sure what alpster means by it, but a DMT 325 or wet/dry paper ~400/600 keeps my Shaptons happy.

Regarding the original question about upgrading the King 1K/6K combo, I find the Shapton Pro 1.5K>5K I picked up from Stuart at Tools from Japan works as a drop in replacement for the King stone whilst being superior all round. The 1.5K seems ever so slightly rougher then the King 1K but cuts fast, needs no soaking and leaves a nice bevel. The 5K is also a little rougher than the King 6K but seems to leave a much more consistent edge far faster & sets things up nicely for one of my natural finshers.

Out of curiosity, do you mean anything special by "lapped properly?"

Just flat. The 1K out of my set wears pretty quickly if you line up a bunch of blades and set bevels, but it laps very easily also. If I don't keep an eye on it, it will dish enough to see light under it after a 8 or ten blades. Important to note I will use a little pressure on the bevel, especially if the blade is a little wonky. DMT plate or wet dry fixes it with just a few strokes. Certainly not a big deal, I love my Shapton Pros.

Top Bottom