What's new

OS X Yosemite

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just updated the iPhone to iOS 8.1 and linked it to the Mac for SMS. Still can't get the Mac and iPhone to see each other in AirDrop though.

Linking the iPhone to the max requires Yosemite?

AirDrop and SMS is something I would LOVE to use.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like most of the features. But I'm struggling with the icons. I feel like it's a Fisher Price "My First Computer."

I guess I am going to have to go check them out. Usually I don't care about such things, but I don't want total butt ugly on my screen.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Looks like Netscape era icons. Not too big of a deal to me- if performance is good I can live with this.

I can get texts on my MBP with Mavericks using messages...it's not handoff, but I can get them on both devices using that application. Possibly just my iMessages through my iCloud account

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I can get texts on my MBP with Mavericks using messages...it's not handoff, but I can get them on both devices using that application. Possibly just my iMessages through my iCloud account

So it's through iMessage?

not SMS?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is it through the Messages app? Mine seems to only do iMessages, but maybe I am not looking in the right place.
i dug around google. You have to use iMessage, and all your apple products have to be on the same wifi network for it to work as SMS. and SMS will be green bubble, iMessage will be blue bubble.

Kind of pointless if ya ask me. My iPad is LTE, so why do I need to be on a wifi for me to send SMS messags with it.
same carrier as my cell phone.

i dug around google. You have to use iMessage, and all your apple products have to be on the same wifi network for it to work as SMS. and SMS will be green bubble, iMessage will be blue bubble.

Kind of pointless if ya ask me. My iPad is LTE, so why do I need to be on a wifi for me to send SMS messags with it.
same carrier as my cell phone.

I think because the SMS has to actually be deposited onto the cell network by your iPhone. My understanding is that wifi acts as the conduit by which SMS from ipad, iPod or Mac gets to your phone and then is spit out into the cell network. The LTE ipad has its own unique phone number. I think being able to text directly without routing through the iPhone would cause issues. That is to say messages out would show the caller ID of the ipad and messages in wouldn't get delivered unless the sender knew the phone number of your ipad.

Very sloppy design IMO. Seeing very bad decisions from Apple recently. At least not the waytey used to do things. Oh well, here we go, another goodone that goes down the hill.

We've had iMessage on the Mac for a while, so messaging to/from any iOS device on the Mac. Only now with Yosemite and iOS 8.1 the iMessage app on the Mac can now send/receive SMS - as far as I can tell though, the iPhone still needs to be present to relay the SMS in the same way we can initiate/receive phone calls via the Mac. This hasn't been made particularly clear by Apple I don't think. Maybe someone can correct me here.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think because the SMS has to actually be deposited onto the cell network by your iPhone. My understanding is that wifi acts as the conduit by which SMS from ipad, iPod or Mac gets to your phone and then is spit out into the cell network. The LTE ipad has its own unique phone number. I think being able to text directly without routing through the iPhone would cause issues. That is to say messages out would show the caller ID of the ipad and messages in wouldn't get delivered unless the sender knew the phone number of your ipad.

We've had iMessage on the Mac for a while, so messaging to/from any iOS device on the Mac. Only now with Yosemite and iOS 8.1 the iMessage app on the Mac can now send/receive SMS - as far as I can tell though, the iPhone still needs to be present to relay the SMS in the same way we can initiate/receive phone calls via the Mac. This hasn't been made particularly clear by Apple I don't think. Maybe someone can correct me here.

Both of these statements are correct as far as I've read so far. The wifi handles pushing the SMS/MMS to your iPad or Mac. You also have to be logged in to the same iCloud account on every device.

The way I understand "handoff" is that it allows you to do some tasks on your computer THROUGH your phone. Thats why your computer has to have a newer bluetooth chip, and all of devices need to be on the same network. Your computer obviously does not have a cell transmitter, sim card etc. Handoff just lets you handle MORE tasks via your computer. I have not paid too close attention to the marketing, but it would be a grave mistake if they were making it sound like your computer was actually sending and receiving SMS message or phone calls independently of your phone.

For instance, my computer running Maverics currently has iMessage installed. I have my iMessage/iCloud account hooked up. iMessages are handled through the data network on your phone, so your computer can get the messages the exact same way as your phone can. Now if someone who does not own an iPHone texted me through regular SMS, it would not appear in my iMessages on my computer. If I had Yosemite installed and had a computer that had the right bluetooth chip for Handoff to work, I'd be able to SEE and RESPOND to every form of text I received to my phone # or iMessage account.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
well I give up.
I can't get Yosemite.

I've spent about 3 hours in Apple Chat trying to get it fixed and nothing.

I've tried creating another admin account and nothing.

I tried downloading it in safe mode and nothing.

still stuck in a loop. Gets to 870mb and reverts back to 860mb, then downloads up to 870mb and then right back to 860mb.

So screw it. I'll get Yosemite whenever I get a new Mac.

Any performance comparisons to Mavericks? My wife has a 2011 MBP and it slowed down a ton when we installed Mavericks...very disappointing. I'm hoping that Yosemite helped optimize and streamlined things.

I finally took the leap. The little "extras" and stuff don't matter to me. I personally don't own any Apple products. I only use my wife's Macbook for taking notes in class. I just wanted a quicker, snappier user-experience and it appears Yosemite provides that. It seems much quicker than Mavericks which is all I was asking for.

Top Bottom