What's new

1:10 vs. 1:12 barrel twist in .270 caliber?

I'm looking at buying a new rifle. I have settled on .270 caliber as it allows me the options coyote hunting as well as deer. The one rifle I keep coming back to is the TC Venture. The other is a Weatherby Vanguard. I noticed last night that the Venture has a 1:12 twist and am aware that limits some types of loads. The Vanguard is 1:10 twist. Am I going to notice this or am I crazy?:out:Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Slower twist (1:12) will be better for lighter bullets and the 1:10 will do better with heavier bullets 130gr and up. For most of the mid range bullets from 90 to 120 either will work. I have an ar15 in 6.8spcII (.270 bullet) that is 1:10 and my dad has one that is 1:11.25. Not much difference in twist performance wise.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
^ What he said. I guess you need to decide which bullet weight you'll be shooting most. Also what level of accuracy you will require. You could buy the rig that was optimal for deer and shoot a heavier bullet if need be for 'yotes, or conversely, accept a lesser degree of accuracy with your deer rounds if your emphasis is on dogs. Are you looking to preserve pelts?

We all want accuracy, but I don't think the choice is that critical unless you are competition shooting.

Twist doesn't really affect accuracy, I'd say go for the 1:10 it's the proven performer for the .270 bolt action. Unless the rifling is different styles, but I doubt it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We all want accuracy, but I don't think the choice is that critical unless you are competition shooting.
I guess my point was based on a scenario where you might be making long range shots on coyotes where you may have a greater need for accuracy, where as if most of your shots were taken at close to moderate range on deer, accuracy needs would be less stringent. Neither choice should provide poor accuracy, and if it did, then change bullet weights to something more appropriate to the selected rate of twist. The .270 is a great all-round cartridge and the standard 1-10 twist should work well for most purposes.

I own a Mark V with a 1:10 twist.

It definitely likes the heavier loads, the 150gr BTSP and NP's...100yds sub MOA...and it will deliver them to 600yds without fail.

The lighter 130gr loads...it "sprays" them. Best group at 100yds with Hornady 130gr BTSP...1.45"

Go with the 1:10 twist. If you wanted to go with lighter bullets, then instead of getting a slower twist, you would be better off with a .25-06. 120 grain bullets in the .25-06 are great for deer and right on the heels of the 130 grain .270. But, if you want mainly heavier bullets, go with the 1:10 .270.
cottontop

If shooting long range (400+ yards) you're going to want heavier bullets anyways. Also, if the gun were for a rookie I would suggest the 1:12 with lighter bullets for less recoil.

Top Bottom