What's new

Underrated Soaps

La Toja sticks. Around $AUD5 landed here if you buy a few and the lather is Arko-ish in its enthusiasm, great scent and very nice on the skin.

I think La Toja is well recognized as a fine product -- I'm certainly another fan.
However, its countryman LEA does not come in for much praise, and I think it's quite solid -- nice lather, albeit a neutral scent (which may be welcome sometimes).

I think La Toja is well recognized as a fine product -- I'm certainly another fan.
However, its countryman LEA does not come in for much praise, and I think it's quite solid -- nice lather, albeit a neutral scent (which may be welcome sometimes).

Moreover, BEA is another one that's really good and gets little recognition.

Also, I've been considering picking up some Dr. Selby for a while; this thread put me over the edge to finally grab some. Another one that isn't spoken of much, but when it is its all positive. I look forward to trying it out.

Wilkinson shave stick. Tabacesque lather at 1.45€/50g.

I wish we had such access! I love the Palmolive shave stick (0.63€/100g) too, but it is $3.75 here (just under 3€) without shipping included.

I also vote for the Provence Sante. Its a nice lathering veggie French formula soap, with a good strong scent.

I just had my first shave with Dr. Selby - this is the wet shaving world's best kept secret. I'm going to keep this short and say: if you haven't tried Dr. Selby you need to get some as fast as you can. Obviously, YMMV, but I think this stuff is a real winner.

One favourite i have that is often underated is Plisson. Its a French (English made, i believe) soap. Smells really nice and lathers very nicely. I always get a luxurious slick lather. I love it. I bought it while on holidays in Paris..so the scent reminds me of Paris (so i have that 'connection' to it) - but i think it stands up against others really well.

Williams and Kiss My Face. If you haven't tried KMF, and like the idea of spending less money and being able to buy at a store verses having "Designer" soaps and creams shipped to you, give KMF a try. It lathers great, and smells wonderful.
If KMF was not available a mile from me....I would stick with Williams. It's all my dad used, and a gazillion other men in the fifties.

Can you imagine how a shaving cream called "Kiss My Face" would have gone over in the fifties!:lol:

Patrick

VDH luxury is better than one might expect given that most folks exposure to it probably comes when they have no idea really what they're doing.

Pre de Provence is great as well, although the rosemary note is more forward than I'd prefer.

The Speick active in the tub is superb.
I would also add Klar Seifen (Classic is the one I use) which is fantastic and rarely gets mentioned.

Another vote for Omega and Prep. Not sure why as these two soft Italian soaps are excellent performers. Love the heavy mentholated Prep, and the warm comforting smell of the Omega. Lathers are thick, slick and rich. But yet, very little love for these two?

I just had my first shave with Dr. Selby - this is the wet shaving world's best kept secret. I'm going to keep this short and say: if you haven't tried Dr. Selby you need to get some as fast as you can. Obviously, YMMV, but I think this stuff is a real winner.

Ssh don't tell anyone! Better than mdc lavender in my opinion, lathers like magic.

Top Bottom