What's new

DE Longevity Question

SO I am wondering just how long most men are able to stave off the urge after they start DE/Wet shaving to take the jump to a straight?

I am starting to get the itch pretty bad to at least try it and see if its how i would rather go or not.

Discuss

Looking at trying a straight now, 6 months after trying a DE for the first time. I think just seeing all the great looking straights the guys have has made we want to at least see what it it's all about.

If I were confident that I could successfully shave my head with a straight I'd already have one. Or if I ever shaved my face. But the way things stand, I don't think it's a good idea for me to own one. Because then I would try to shave my head with it. And then I would be nicknamed "Scar."

I have come to love DE shaving, but even now I'm scared of getting cut worse than the smallest nicks. The idea of a straight razor has no appeal for me except in the hands of an experienced barber that I fully trust.

I was giving myself a goal of moving to a straight a year after starting with the DE. The constraint that could hold me back longer is $. Straights tend to have a higher cost of entry. Now if I win any of the PIFs that I've recently entered, I might be starting quite a bit sooner...

I have bought my straight 9 months ago but it wasn't sharp enough. So I need to get some stones to hone it. The reason why I want to learn to shave with a straight is because it looks so cool. If I'll get my stones I will shave with the straight only.

I bought a straight last year. Found out the hard way that my hands are not steady enough for that. Gouged a nice little divot in my chin. Promptly went back to DEs after that.

I don't see the appeal of a straight. but if I did...
$image.jpg

After sixty years of using safety razors, I have no interest in a straight, so I suppose I am immune to whatever lure those might represent.

After I used my Fatboy for a few years as a teen, my father gave me my grandfather's matched set of two beautiful straight razors. I learned carefully, and eventually I got very good shaves. But the ordeal was intense. As i drifted through the hippy sixties, my Fatboy was fine - they called it a safety razor for a reason- but I felt less and less comfortable with a straight blade at my neck, wine at my elbow, joint smoking on the sink. I lasted 6 months.

I'll stick to my DE forever.

I have never had a desire to switch to a straight. Seems too stressful and time consuming to me. I think the DE strikes the perfect balance between multi-bladed cartridge razors and straight razors. The perfect shaver, IMO.

No desire to go with straights. I really enjoy DE shaving and the thought of having to sharpen something to get a great shave has no appeal. Just throw a new blade in and I am good for another 3 to 5 days.

I really like DEs, because I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I recall thinking that DE shaving was "real" shaving. It just seemed cooler, although I gravitated to cart razors when I got old enough to shave. I still think DEs, and blades are cool. Straights seemed VERY old school to me, and something requiring more patience than I could muster.

After about 2 months of shaving with de I been looking to try straights except I am not sure if I be able to maintain it properly
Plus I think I would **** in my pants just holding next to my face :death:

I started with straights about 4 mnnths after starting DE. I put them down for a while, but have started back, literally this morning. I want to conquer the straight. Ultimate throwback skill and a great conversation starter.

I've thought about it. I have my grandfather's Genco De Roma straight razor and it is in perfect shape. (Leave it to a master machinist to keep all of his tools in perfect shape across a lifetime...)

I've also thought about the time it takes to prepare and maintain a straight's blade versus the less than sixty second DE blade change. That alone is enough to keep me happily shaving with my DE.

JMJ -

I actually wanted to try a straight, but looking into it is how I learned about DE shaving. I decided against straight because of having to sharpen the blade. It was too much of an initial investment, and although I am pretty good at blade sharpening with the stones, I didn't think I would be able to sharpen the straight well enough to not turn my face into hamburger.

Maybe someday.....

YBIC
Mike

Top Bottom