What's new

here, take my wallet.

B & B friends, my bank account is in your hands. I am going to buy a badger brush, as I don't own a single badger. I have 4 boars that I love, but there is just something about that plump, silvery, soft, magnificent looking badger hair that is calling to me. Because I live in a less-than-populated corner of Canada I have not seen or touched a badger brush in person, all I've got is pictures to go on, and its very difficult to decide, I've added about 30 different brushes to my cart over the past week or two, but always change my mind.

That being said, I would love to entertain the B & B community's suggestions for the one badger brush to buy. I realize this might be an exercise in frustration since there are so many different choices, but I'd love to narrow it down to the communities best model (or even brand). Heck, even grade would be helpful. If I can get lots of suggestions for just a couple different top picks, I'd put it to a vote and buy the one that comes out on top, otherwise, please give me some advice if you don't mind, you can even browbeat me into choosing the one you think is best, peer pressure is fun.

Thanks in advance, and I realize there are scores of threads about badger brushes, and reviews, and pictures (which I've spend more time than I'll admit admiring), but I'm finding it so tough to choose, so I thought I'd try leaving to the fate of this thread.

Since you don't know exactly what you are looking for in a brush yet, I would suggest that you just pick up a Whipped Dog Silvertip badger brush with their resin handle for around $35 to start with. They are a excellent value and a really great choice. This will allow you to find what you like or don't like about a Silvertip brush without breaking the bank to do so.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Another option on the lower cost side is a 2-band Vintage Blade Brands brush.

Or go all out and visit the Shavemac website, design your own brush.

Since you don't know exactly what you are looking for in a brush yet, I would suggest that you just pick up a Whipped Dog Silvertip badger brush with their resin handle for around $35 to start with. They are a excellent value and a really great choice. This will allow you to find what you like or don't like about a Silvertip brush without breaking the bank to do so.

Excellent advice. I went through a lot of brushes before I even realized what it is I like or don't like in a brush. And it's not something you notice right away. I've purchased brushes that I didn't like at first, but as I discovered a little bit more about what type of soaps I use, how I lather and how sensitive my face is after a rough shave, I've come to love them.

There are people who say it's all in the mind, and that a cheap brush is as good as an expensive one. Personally, I believe that there are premium brushes on the market, and that some are significantly better than the lower-end brushes. However, it wouldn't be wise to (as I did) purchase a really nice smaller three-band super badger brush, only to discover that I really enjoy much larger two-band brushes. It's much better to find out you don't care for two-bands on a $35 brush than a $300 one.

That being said, so long as you take care to purchase brushes at a reasonable price point, you probably won't have much trouble getting at least 75% of what you paid for one back by offering it for sale on the buy/sell/trade forum of this site. Of course, practice your own due diligence; the previous statement is not a guarantee but a general rule. I own brushes that have a "market value" for way more than what I paid for them. I have also purchased others (mainly lower-end brands) that I would probably have to bundle with two other brushes just to get half what I paid for them. As always, your mileage may vary.

However, dfoulk's advice above is an excellent place to start. I've heard very good things about VB brushes on this forum, and the vendor stands behind them. If you get a shedding brush, (which happens occasionally even with the best brushes, and I mean that quite literally) Jim will make sure that you are made whole in a very fair way. (At least, that's been my experience.)

Good luck, and post some follow-up comments on what you discover. :) Cheers!

+1

Whipped Dog is an excellent brush that is likely the best bang for the buck. It punches way above its price point. You just may discover that it is really all you need.

All of the above. If your budget allows, get a WD silvertip AND a Vintage Blades. You'll have two opposite style brushes that you can start your quest with at a reasonable price. I've got both in my stable, and they are nice brushes. The Vintage Blades is perhaps the best value brush out there.

Great advice above, not much more to add - except if you get a WD, invest the extra 5$ to get the loft set lower - then you will have a verysoft brush with some backbone - I love mine!

I would like to chime in with some comments on the difference between badger and boar knots, since OP is familiar with boar brushes.

A boar brush doesn't hold that much water in comparison to a badger. The face feeling of a badger is very different to an boar. Not necessarily better, but different. A badger will also change during the first dozen or so shaves. Whereas the boar will split at the end of the bristles and get softer the badger will 'loosen' up in the knot thus making the loading more straightforward. I have a comparison of a few badgers and a boar here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/416591-Brush-shootout-Badger-v-boar .

Badger brushes come as I see it in two major varieties. The knots are either made in China or made in house at the manufacturer from Chinese badger hair. The difference is that the manufacturer has a possibility to maintain the feeling in the knots over time as much as possible by choosing the same kind of badger hair if he makes the knots himself. If he sources the knots ready made he gets whatever he gets when he orders new knots.

The different classes of badger are named differently by the manufacturers. This means that a 'silvertip' brush from one manufacturer is not in any way necessarily comparable other 'silvertips'. Lately the tendency has been to name the entry model silvertip and the top end brushes something esoteric like 'High Mountain White' or 'Manchurian'. This is marketing as I see it.

With this background I would suggest buying an entry level badger brush from a top manufacturer. According to Mark Watterson (CEO of Simpsons) two artisans stand out of the crowd: Lee Sabini (Morris & Forndran) and Rudy Vey (RV Shaving). Lee uses his own knots and Rudy uses Shavemac knots for his high end offerings. Both artisans will turn a handle to any taste. Both operate via mail.

If OP prefers a custom made or standard brush from what I personally regard as the most consistent line of knots I can point to the Shavemac site. The degree of customization is mind boggling: http://www.shavemac.com/products/Experts/Shaving-Brush-EXPERTS-SELECT.html?currency=EUR but one can also choose a standard brush which will suit most needs.

Badger knots from Shavemac: 2 band in Rudy Vey handle, silvertip D01, silvertip and finest in Shavemac handles

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely good advice given. I would also recommend both WD and VB brushes. If you find you like them you can then experiment with the other higher end/priced badgers out there. For now you'll get the general idea what the difference in feel/ performance there is between 2 band and 3 band.

Jump in with both feet and get a Thater 2-band 4125/2. Not too dense; not too big; not too much or too little backbone; not too expensive. Wonderfully soft 2 band. It's the "just right" badger brush. Go for the bulb.

If you are unsatisfied, it will probably sell on the B/S/T in nanoseconds.

proxy.php

A Simpsons Duke 3 is a great all rounder and entry in to badger brushes. Once you try that, a Chubby 2 won't disappoint either.

Another vote for Whipped Dog. Larry's a great dude. Could be the best bang/buck deal in brushes. I'd recommend getting it set into the handle further (which reduces the standard loft of 55mm down to 45mm, or anywhere in between if you make that request).

If you do a little research you'll find people who compare the 30mm WD to a Chubby2. Obviously very subjective to determine anything beyond that, but the fact that a $49 brush can draw a comparison to something that sells for over triple that amount makes it something not to be passed up.

Being from the same neck of the woods I'd say start with the whipped dog silver tip. 24mm if you face later, 30 if you bowl. Have Larry drill it down for you.

Why Whipped Dog over the others? Because it's affordable and it only costs an extra 2 bucks to have it shipped here.

i have premium and other brushes (Simpsons, Shavemac, TGN, WSP) in varying grades and my WD is still in rotation.

full disclosure - I have not tried vintage blades brush yet.

Jump in with both feet and get a Thater 2-band 4125/2. Not too dense; not too big; not too much or too little backbone; not too expensive. Wonderfully soft 2 band. It's the "just right" badger brush. Go for the bulb.

If you are unsatisfied, it will probably sell on the B/S/T in nanoseconds.

proxy.php
Since we have your wallet, this^
or a 4125/1.

Top Bottom