What's new

Massive variance in shave quality?

So I've had some great shave days approaching/hitting BBS. And others, with the same set up, where after 4-5 passes I still have a rough shave, quasi stubble that becomes stubble after a few hours, and irritated skin.

is this normal?? There seems no pattern - last week I shaved daily with no issues. This week, poor shave on tues and today. I thought it was bad blades, but I'm switching mid shave to check with new Astros, feathers, and gillette reds. They can't all be bad, so it is something else....

bottom line is does anyone else have those days where the shave is pretty rubbish and not at all close no matter how many passes?

So I've had some great shave days approaching/hitting BBS. And others, with the same set up, where after 4-5 passes I still have a rough shave, quasi stubble that becomes stubble after a few hours, and irritated skin.

is this normal?? There seems no pattern - last week I shaved daily with no issues. This week, poor shave on tues and today. I thought it was bad blades, but I'm switching mid shave to check with new Astros, feathers, and gillette reds. They can't all be bad, so it is something else....

bottom line is does anyone else have those days where the shave is pretty rubbish and not at all close no matter how many passes?

How long have you been using the DE? I've been at it since June, and I still have the occasional few days in a row of sub-par shaves. For me, I think it's mainly lapses in technique, either with angle and pressure, or lather, or both. But overall, you should start seeing consistent improvement, and progressively more good days than bad, I would say somewhere between the 4 and 8 week mark.

Four months in.... Feel like some shaves are worse than the first week. So strange to have massive variance from perfect to shambolic.... Surely the technique can't vary by that degree!

Its just a matter of developing your technique. With lots of practice, and over time, your good shaves will come closer together until almost all of them are good shaves.

I'll get that sometimes as well after almost a year of wet shaving.

I've found if I don't get a good shave on Monday after not shaving on the weekend, my whole week of shaving is pretty rough and I just have to do one-pass WTG pass.

It is rare, now, but there are just some days where things don't go as well as usual! I usually encounter this on the weekends where I break routine and shave a few hours later than on the week days.
However, if it is happening more than once a week, you may just need more practice on your technique.
Good luck.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Four months in.... Feel like some shaves are worse than the first week. So strange to have massive variance from perfect to shambolic.... Surely the technique can't vary by that degree!

While your technique is one of the variables in the inconsistency you are finding. Another variable could be, that at 4 months in, you are at the place where you are trying all manner of shave products. Creams, soaps, blades, razors, etc. So, along with learning to be consistent in your technique, you are finding that the pairings of the different products you are trying, might not match up for the same quality of shave as when you do hit the jackpot and find that a certain pairing of soap, blade, razor, aftershave...

Just seemed magical.

strop

Now half as wise
I periodically find myself getting complacent, and just not paying enough attention to what I'm doing. After a while, things to seem to go along on autopilot and then all of a sudden, bad shave.

Could be just a little of this and that. Change in soap, lather, angle, etc.

It's magical when it all comes together, but miserable when it doesn't.

IMO, conditions change all the time. Humidity, diet, how much you drank--and what you drank--all contribute to different face/skin conditions, which affect your shave. You have to learn to adapt. Especially if you're going for that BBS all the time. Eventually, you'll learn how to adapt by how things feel and at some point in the distant future you won't even realize that you're doing it. I stopped trying to give advice to new folks because it's impossible for me to relate, but I don't think you can approach shaving at the level you're looking for thinking it's a 100% repeatable process like forming sheet steel cause it just ain't. (And I'm sure we have some metal workers around that'll claim it ain't all that repeatable either.)

Last edited:
IMO, conditions change all the time. Humidity, diet, how much you drank--and what you drank--all contribute to different face/skin conditions, which affect your shave. You have to learn to adapt. Especially if you're going for that BBS all the time. Eventually, you'll learn how to adapt by how things feel and at some point in the distant future you won't even realize that you're doing it. I stopped trying to give advice to new folks because it's impossible for me to relate, but I don't think you can approach shaving at the level you're looking for thinking it's a 100% repeatable process like forming sheet steel cause it just ain't. (And I'm sure we have some metal workers around that'll claim it ain't all that repeatable either.)
+1

I periodically find myself getting complacent, and just not paying enough attention to what I'm doing. After a while, things to seem to go along on autopilot and then all of a sudden, bad shave.

Could be just a little of this and that. Change in soap, lather, angle, etc.

It's magical when it all comes together, but miserable when it doesn't.
I agree, losing that mojo really sucks, but when it comes back it's fun again.

+2

It's frustrating I know, but almost certainly nothing more than your technique still developing.
Stick with it meneer - you'll be glad you did.

I may have cracked it, though as ever with this face chess, there is a web of possible variables! I've focussed on a bit more prep to ensure my beard is fully soft and saturated. Previously I was still always showering, but perhaps not always enough to fully soften. Once you are out of that showe, the beard will never get softer, just gradually harden up.....

So far ar this week, two shaves, two great results where I can tell after the first pass that the shave will go well. Now for the slant arriving in the post tomorrow!!

In the beginning this is very common. I had this in the beginning too till I switched to other blades (from Derby to Astra SP), my shaves did improve a lot. You need to try different blades and see which one you like. And one thing to keep in mind, don't apply pressure let the razor do its work. You'll get there as you practice.

I use a very aggressive combination and I don't get burns etc, I get bad shaves if I rush. Normally I always take my time and in reward I get a full bbs with two passes but for fun I always perform three passes.

How long have you been using the DE? I've been at it since June, and I still have the occasional few days in a row of sub-par shaves. For me, I think it's mainly lapses in technique, either with angle and pressure, or lather, or both. But overall, you should start seeing consistent improvement, and progressively more good days than bad, I would say somewhere between the 4 and 8 week mark.

+1 here !!

I may have cracked it, though as ever with this face chess, there is a web of possible variables! I've focussed on a bit more prep to ensure my beard is fully soft and saturated. Previously I was still always showering, but perhaps not always enough to fully soften. Once you are out of that showe, the beard will never get softer, just gradually harden up.....

So far ar this week, two shaves, two great results where I can tell after the first pass that the shave will go well. Now for the slant arriving in the post tomorrow!!
Post your Slant razor review when you get it..

How thick is your beard growth? Have you tried using a more aggressive razor? That may reduce the # of passes and improve the closeness of your shave, assuming you have your technique down pat.

Top Bottom