What's new

new DE shaver from Pgh, PA

Hello, everyone.

Two weeks ago I was in Walmart and passed a display for the Micro Touch One safety razor. I was intrigued but did not buy as thought it was too gimmicky. Later, in the shaving aisle I saw the Van der Hagen safety razor for about $3 less and said hey why not for less than $20.

I loaded up one of the included blades and went at it. My prep was to shower first and use some cheap 3-in-1 body wash I used in the shower(It is body wash, shampoo and conditioner in one). I did one pass WTG and found it was quite smooth, but I had two weepers and I cut the head off a mole on my jawline that the cartridge always ignored. I also had some wicked razor burn everywhere(too much pressure I'm guessing). I started looking for new stuff on the web and found this site.

I've stopped at every Rite-Aid, CVS, etc. looking for blades and such. I've found Wilkinson Swords (German) at this old Pharmacy near where I work. I also got Personnas in a blue pack and Derby Extras from Sally Beauty Supply. The Derbys are cheapest at $2.69 for 10. I also got the Van der Hagen boar brush and bowl with a soap puck for $13 at Rite-Aid.

Next and most recent shave, I showered first used some Vitamin E oil as a pre-shave and lathered the soap with the brush. The brush lathering was decent and enjoyable to do. I used the VdH razor with the same blades (second use). I noticed an immediate decline in the blade sharpness. I really tried to lighten up my pressure and it didn't really cut the hair on my jawline or outside? neck well at all. I guess these are my trouble spots. I have a goatee and have not shaved my upper lip in 15 years. Not much blood, and really no razor burn. However, the smoothness is not there. I have heard on this forum to give a blade 3 or 4 cuts, but I am not looking to a third cut with this blade.

I find the VdH razor to be light. I would like a heavier tool, looking at the Merkur 34C HD (is it a lot heavier). I like the shorter handle. It seems easier to control. The VdH has a short handle and I already like it compared to the long handles on the cartridges. I was planning on loading one of the Wilkie Swords for the next shave. Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you and hello.

Hello and welcome, Amos. Great to have you here. Take a look at a vintage Gillette. A Tech or a Super Speed will be great for you. Cheaper than the Merkur and much more style.

I have both of those razors, the VDH and the Merkur 34c HD (amongst others). I like both of them. Yes, the VDH is very light and is a relatively cheaply made razor (not very popular around here either...but I like it). The 34c is a great razor and is much heavier. I get good shaves with both.

Hello, everyone.

Two weeks ago I was in Walmart and passed a display for the Micro Touch One safety razor. I was intrigued but did not buy as thought it was too gimmicky. Later, in the shaving aisle I saw the Van der Hagen safety razor for about $3 less and said hey why not for less than $20.

I loaded up one of the included blades and went at it. My prep was to shower first and use some cheap 3-in-1 body wash I used in the shower(It is body wash, shampoo and conditioner in one). I did one pass WTG and found it was quite smooth, but I had two weepers and I cut the head off a mole on my jawline that the cartridge always ignored. I also had some wicked razor burn everywhere(too much pressure I'm guessing). I started looking for new stuff on the web and found this site.

I've stopped at every Rite-Aid, CVS, etc. looking for blades and such. I've found Wilkinson Swords (German) at this old Pharmacy near where I work. I also got Personnas in a blue pack and Derby Extras from Sally Beauty Supply. The Derbys are cheapest at $2.69 for 10. I also got the Van der Hagen boar brush and bowl with a soap puck for $13 at Rite-Aid.

Next and most recent shave, I showered first used some Vitamin E oil as a pre-shave and lathered the soap with the brush. The brush lathering was decent and enjoyable to do. I used the VdH razor with the same blades (second use). I noticed an immediate decline in the blade sharpness. I really tried to lighten up my pressure and it didn't really cut the hair on my jawline or outside? neck well at all. I guess these are my trouble spots. I have a goatee and have not shaved my upper lip in 15 years. Not much blood, and really no razor burn. However, the smoothness is not there. I have heard on this forum to give a blade 3 or 4 cuts, but I am not looking to a third cut with this blade.

I find the VdH razor to be light. I would like a heavier tool, looking at the Merkur 34C HD (is it a lot heavier). I like the shorter handle. It seems easier to control. The VdH has a short handle and I already like it compared to the long handles on the cartridges. I was planning on loading one of the Wilkie Swords for the next shave. Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you and hello.
I would suggest not using the vitamin ę oil, getting the Merkur, and trying a sampler blade pack.

I'm originally from Greensburg, PA so welcome to the forum! What part of the 'burgh are you from?

You'll get a lot of great advice here. I have an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor and I also own a couple vintage Gillette Superspeeds. IMO, you can't beat vintage because they were built to last. Check out Ebay and go antiquing when you have some free time. You'll be surprised what you can find in the wild if you look hard enough.

If you are having trouble spots then make sure you check the direction of your hair growth. A lot of times, you may think you're shaving WTG and in reality it may be ATG. For example, the hair on my neck grows from the centerline out towards my ears. If I shave N-S, then I'll be shaving XTG for most of my neck, with some areas near ATG at the bottom near my adams apple. So it's important to map your beard.

Also, no pressure on the razor and make sure you have the correct angle.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Welcome! You won't find a better place to learn/talk/discuss this wonderful art of wet shaving. One of the big things I found out when beginning was LATHER matters... A LOT! I had a cheap brush and my lather always sucked. I bought an ok brush and lather got much better, I bought a great brush and BOOM amazing lather every time! And great brushes don't have to be expensive. Larry at Whippeddog shaving makes some Hella good brushes for 35$ and less! Check em out, and welcome again to the obsession!!!

Top Bottom