What's new

Let's talk 1911

Hello fellow gun enthusiasts, I am looking to purchase a gun to commemorate my long haul (15 years) toward a Bachelor's degree in Engineering. I am considering two different guns 1) a 1911 2) a lever action rifle. For the purposes of this thread, let's talk about 1911s. I went to Cabelas yesterday and talked to a salesman (a self-professed 1911 guy) for a while. He told me he was a big fan of Sig Sauer and Rock Island. He was of the opinion that quality of Kimber has gone down from the late 90s models. So, what say you? I want to keep my purchase to $1,000 or less.

The newer Rock Islands and others from the same factory sold under different names don't have the cachet of a Colt, but they are certainly solid performers.

I have one and it runs perfect so far, without ever a jam.

A great shooter and very accurate.

Congrats on completing your degree.

+1 for the point below. The Rock Islands are rock solid. Other makers look better, but if you are an engineer and are into function over form, the Rock will be all you want, plus you can have enough $$ left over to buy an AR rifle to boot.

The newer Rock Islands and others from the same factory sold under different names don't have the cachet of a Colt, but they are certainly solid performers.

I have one and it runs perfect so far, without ever a jam.

A great shooter and very accurate.

Hey thanks! Not many get to say they were on the 15 year plan, ha!

So wait, you're saying I can get a Rock Island and still have money for yet another gun??

Congrats on completing your degree.

+1 for the point below. The Rock Islands are rock solid. Other makers look better, but if you are an engineer and are into function over form, the Rock will be all you want, plus you can have enough $$ left over to buy an AR rifle to boot.

RIA is not a bad firearm, I'm sure it would be solid. If it was me though, I'd look into Springfield Armory or an STI Spartan before the RIA though. Although, money left over for another gun or ammo is always a plus !

Experience from many years ago.

I found (my) SA rough out of the box and in need of serious slide, bushing and feed ramp work. The trigger group was none too smooth either. I had a Sig P220 back when they were importing the 9mm versions (early 80's) and it was a thing of beauty from the get go. It was originally designed so the same frame would support both a 9mm para and .45 ACP slides and mags. DA/SA

I'll tolerate roughness anywhere but where metal meets metal.

From what I've gathered, in my limited research, Rock Island will get you a good 1911 for a very solid price. If you want to move up the ladder to a good and nice 1911, you have to start moving more money forward. Based on the pics I've seen, RIA 1911s are just another gun. There are few frills, but they work and are a good starting point for future modifications. They won't look as nice as a Kimber or Colt, but you'll have money left over. I'm sure there are exceptions to this statement, but that's the general feel I've picked up when reading 1911 threads. I have no first hand experience, so keep that in mind.

The Colt Combat Commander ,made prior to 1975,would be a great choice.nothing else feels so good,and it will rise,not fall in value as the years go by.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Can you get a Kimber for a $1000 or less? I would like a Springfield Armory if I had some gun money.

I have owned Colts, shot Kimbers and Springfields and various others, and it is true that Rock Islands aren't as pretty.

They are a good shooter for a good price.

You can get nicer guns if you spend more money.

My dad has a RIA, my uncle has a matched set of kimbers. Can I tell the difference between the two with my eyes closed? Nope. On the dueling tree, it's the shooter not the gun, both are equal. Myself, I have a Hi-Power. Unless you want to double your budget, I'd suggest you get a RIA and spend the rest on ammo. I did a bit of work on my dad's for him, polished feed ramp, new sights, a little trigger stoning, and it's as good as you can get.

Check out the Remington R1 Enhanced. A buddy of mine has one and loves it but he did say to stay away from the regular model and make sure you get the 'Enhanced' model.
The R1 Enhanced gets great reviews from others as well.

I purchased a Taurus PT 1911 when I got back from Iraq and I loved it, shot it a ton and carried it concealed for a few years before trading it in for a 9mm XD-M to save on ammo. Don't overlook the Taurus, it was loaded with features, competition trigger, Match barrel, polished feed ramp, night sights, and all for around $700

The Rock Island really is a Great gun. Certainly the equal to a standard grade Colt in fit and finish. For a few hundred a good 1911 gunsmith can go thru the RI and fully smooth it and smooth the trigger. For a couple more hundred he can replace trigger parts and really make it a glass Rod break. The 1911 is a fine gun but with a properly fitted barrel, link and bushing and a match trigger it can be an awesomely accurate gun.

Of the two you mention, my pick would be the Sig. Congrats on your matriculation and good luck with your purchase!

Good job on completing the degree! You deserve to treat yourself.

I have the RIA/Armscor 1911's in .45 and 9mm. Both are good, functional guns that do the job I ask of them. They are as accurate and dependable as I am, but that's not a high bar. I've shot much worse guns than my RIA's.

The base level RIA guns are pretty much the Yuma razor of the shooting world. Everything has been engineered out of them that isn't essential to having a functioning gun. If you don't need something pretty or to have the coolest gun at the firing line they may be for you. If you need or want all the extras, that's what you are paying for with the more expensive RIA guns and the offerings of other brands.

Congratulations on your achievement! I would first caution you that purchasing 1911's can lead quickly to addiction. Obviously in my line of work I am afforded the opportunity to see and handle a lot of firearms. While I have sold everything from Ed Brown and Wilson Combat, I have to admit that I am continually impressed with RIA's offerings.

They (RIA's) have been solid performers, great shooters and for the price point they are a great value. By far our most popular 1911 to date in terms of sheer number sold would be Ruger's SR1911. Within your price range, there are a number of reliable manufacturers that would fit the bill and leave you quite satisfied. Best of luck in your search!

My first 1911 was a Colt. It was nice, but pricey, and I ended up spending a TON on smithwork to make it a reliable daily carry. My second 1911 was a Dan Wesson - I haven't done diddly to that gun, and I carry it daily with zero concern that it won't go bang every time I pull the trigger. It was pricier than the Colt out of the box, but with all the smith work I spent on the colt, the Wesson was a bargain. My third 1911 was a Sig Sauer. It wasn't as flashy as the Colt, or as tight as the Wesson by any means, the trigger is sloppier, the fit finish isn't as impressive, and it was under 2/3 the price of the Colt (probably closer to 1/2 the price in today's inflated Colt market), but it goes bang every time and came with 4 magazines to boot. If I was buying my first 1911, I'd probably still buy the Wesson, but you could do a lot worse than the Sig for the money. I'd dare say that the quality of the Sig, minus the name brand, was probably on par or better than the Colt for a lot less, and I enjoy the heck out of shooting it.

Top Bottom