What's new

Let's talk 1911

I have no experience with Rock Island, but I have owned both Kimber and Sig (currently still have the Sig) 1911's and I have a few other Sigs as well. Both were carry sizes - Sig Tacops Carry (4.25" barrel) and Kimber Eclipse Pro II (4"). I've never owned a full size 1911 and I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I can definitely compare between the two. The Sig has a GREAT trigger. So responsive and snappy, one of the lightest pulls I've experienced. The one complaint I have about the sig is it doesn't feel like everything is there in the hands. Like, somehow it needs to be "fuller". The Kimber was one of the smoothest shooting guns I've ever owned. That's due partly to the full stainless frame, but mostly the bushingless bull barrel instead of a standard bushing barrel. On a standard bushing, the opening of the slide is larger than the outer diameter of the barrel, and there's a bushing that sizes the barrel to the opening. In a bull barrel, the opening of the slide is still larger, but the barrel tapers outward and the outside diameter of the actual barrel is sized to the opening. It creates a lot less flex as bullet exits the barrel. That's definitely an option I want on my next 1911. The prices on the standard Kimber Pro Carry II's are actually not that bad if you get them from the right place. The gunshop my girlfriend works at had them for under $950

Ruger SR 1911 Commander-American made, properly engineered, lights out reliable, spectacular warranty and consumer service, priced right, looks good. What's not to like??

$Ruger1.jpg

I think part of the answer to the OP's question depends on whether he plans to get a CCW permit. If so, and if he wants a .45, I wouldn't recommend a 1911 because of its size and weight, although there are some "compact" versions available. Also, as you all know, 1911's are a PITA to strip, clean and reassemble. Instead, I would suggest the 3" version of the SA XDs. It's one of my EDC's. Not particularly fun to shoot because of its light weight, but most CCW weapons aren't selected for plinking at targets. JMO, YMMV.

Odd. I have never found the 1911 platform to be particularly difficult to field strip. Sure, there are some that are easier but I can pull a 1911 apart and put it back together easily. It's certainly not hard to carry one concealed. In the end though it's more about the shooter and less about the tool used.

Ah, but how much practice did it take before you got there?
The right amount apparently, because it stuck. :thumbup1:

You can have snap together, and you can have durable. From "M-1911 Pistol History" on M1911.org:
A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of having each gun fire 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.

From: "The .45 Automatic, An American Rifleman Reprint" quoting the original evaluation committee:
Of the two pistols, the board was of the opinion that the Colt is superior, because it is more reliable, more enduring, more easily disassembled when there are broken parts to be replaced, and more accurate.

Okay enough Fanboy out of me ... seriously I think we had a 4-hour class when we initially were issued 1911's. After that we just had to "do". Familiarity and comfort came from a close personal relationship with each of my weapons and you get that if you care to get it regardless of the make or model of the weapon in question. If you care enough to care for your weapon, you will do what you need to do in order to get that done.

So for instance I don't currently own an XD but I have owned one and I learned to work on that as I do all of my weapons. I won't use any weapon until I am that familiar with it. I don't find one more of a PITA than the other. Being able to completely strip - including the action - a 1911 with no tools (not counting an expended case) is a feature few weapons these days share.

ETA: While I was typing, some folks said it even better!

So I'm a bit late to the fight for this one, but here's my input:

1. I have a SIG 1911 TACPAC that I got right around the $1000 range at Cabelas (when I lived near one). It is one of the best firearms I have ever used and I highly recommend it. I particularly liked the TACPAC as it gave me 2 additional mags, a Holster, and a decent case. There is also a TACPAC with a rail and a light if you prefer. My SIG 1911 is the gun that made me a SIG fan.

2. My runner up in the decision on a 1911 was the Ruger. Trigger felt good, good quality build, and the price point was excellent.

3. I had no problem stripping and cleaning my 1911 from day one. I watched a couple good YouTube videos and was good to go. If you have any prior experience with pistols, I don't think this is a major factor. I can see however, how some people consider it a pain given the ease of some pistols such as the Beretta PX4. That thing was freakishly simple to strip, clean, and assemble.

I have been REALLY tempted to purchase the Smith and Wesson E series 1911. After test firing a friends I am just waiting until they have one in stock at my favorite local store until I buy one for myself.

About the only difficult part of stripping a standard 1911 is not launching the recoil spring plug and not putting the idiot scratch on the frame.

Every GI 1911 I ever encountered had a pronounced idiot scratch. They all still shot just fine.

I have been REALLY tempted to purchase the Smith and Wesson E series 1911. After test firing a friends I am just waiting until they have one in stock at my favorite local store until I buy one for myself.
I have loved the action of every S&W I've owned. Never had a 1911 from them but my favorite wheel guns are S&W.

About the only difficult part of stripping a standard 1911 is not launching the recoil spring plug and not putting the idiot scratch on the frame.

Every GI 1911 I ever encountered had a pronounced idiot scratch. They all still shot just fine.
I shot my platoon leader in the side of his head, right in the temple, with the spring/plug. He had a big knot on the side of his head he had to explain to everyone and let's just say he made my life miserable for a while.

The "blindfold" trick sometimes leaves the scratch so I do that on my truck gun only. Most people will forgive me the scratch for the ability to do it blindfolded.

I'm no 1911 expert but I do enjoy them. They are awesome to shoot and really aren't that bad to field strip... just be careful of the idiot mark. I think if you are going to purchase one think it out what you plan on doing with it. Will you be fine with it out of the box? Will you want to customize it? I guess buy the most gun you can afford. Go and compare an out of the box RIA to a Wilson Combat Startac. Will they both go boom? Sure but one is going to do it much better then the other. It is all about what you want or will be happy with.
Now that being said, I love my 1911's but I don't carry them.

Here are my two.

I would go with Colt combat commander for such an occasion, everything else is just a copy. If money was an issue then i would go with springfield armory. If money wasnt an issue and i wasnt brand sentimental i would go with a wilson combat. Whatever you pic go to wilson combat webpage and look at their custom shop and see the list of brands that they will work on. this will give you a pretty good list of brands that are made a little better than others out there.

I carry my Commander religiously. Most times in an Old Faithful IWB rig. It's a chunk of steel on your hip, no doubt about it. I'm comfortable with it.

1911's are no big deal to field strip after you've done it a few times. I could probably still do the blindfold trick, but haven't done that in 30 years or more. And yes mine has THE SCRATCH. As was said earlier, still shoots just fine with it.

As for Springfield and my issue with them? I bought two of those little sub compact 45's with the ported barrels they made years back. Gave one to Dad, kept the other one. Never took 'em out of the box before I gave Dad his. Took mine out of the box, checked it over stoked it up and proceeded to get to know my new pistola.

Damn thing had a 12 lb trigger pull! Checked Dad's and it was around 6 lbs. Called Springfield Customer Service. Got told flat out I was wrong and that NONE of their pistols leave the factory like that and that I just HAD to be mistaken! They offered to let me send the pistol back for them to "check out" if I paid the postage both ways.

I told the nice lady to **** up a rope and hung up. I cut two turns off the main spring and it dropped the trigger pull to 6 lbs. It went down the road at the next gun show. I think Dad may still have his. I'll have to ask him. He's 88 now and he may or may not remember if he still has it.

It was not a fun gun to shoot. Muzzle blast was outrageous and it was hard to hang on to with that stubby grip.

One thing I learned about pistols with ported barrels is to not shoot 'em from the hip as they have a tendency to blow your hat off. :blink:

Messes up my concentration.....:blush:

Last edited:
I think every collection has a place for at least one 1911, especially now that they're available at just about every price point nowadays. It's stood the test of time, through the age of Wonder 9's and poly guns. There's a reason there still prolific these days. Speaking for myself, I like the looks of the Ruger. I might spring for a Colt, but that's about as high as I would go. I'm a family man, you know?

Yeah. Mine has the scratch. It's hardly noticeable, what with all the other scratches and wear marks from 12+ years of continual carry.

It's not a safe queen.

I have 1911's that get a piece of painter's tape on the frame before they come apart ... and I have some that ride in my truck. I think a guy needs a variety. :001_smile

Top Bottom